Lack of sleep

How to deal with lack of sleep when trying to stay sober?? I only managed sobriety for 1 day & I was a total shithead-bitch (and that’s being nice) to my husband. I only got 1.5 hours of sleep but I was sober so thought that was a “win”. I definitely was not winning. I need a better plan. Please advise

2 Likes

Sometimes it be like that; lack of sleep. My sleep was out of whack for the first few weeks.

Melatonin helps, 3mg an hour before bed. Reduce or remove screen time an hour before bed too. Good diet and exercise daily helps too.

Other than that, enjoy your sober days! The sleep issue will get better soon.

2 Likes

I slept maybe 3 hours the first 3 nights. Then choppy for 2. But by day 6 I slept the whole night through and felt great. The initial come off is rough but you gotta just get thru it. It’s not all unicorns and rainbows in the beginning but it will definitely be worth it. I promise. I’m on day 65 after drinking for 19 years and I don’t plan on looking back. You got this if I can do it. We all can do it. All the best :pray:

4 Likes

My sleep sound machine. Honestly the best investment I have made in years. Found it with my daughter when we were out xmas shopping for her. You can choose or mix 8 different sleep sounds. My favorite so far is campfire, thunderstorm and ocean waves mixed together. Even has a timer. And yes it resides next to me on it’s own pillow every night! :rofl::rofl:

I turn everything off and just focus on the sound, usually I imagine I’m on a beach or in a tent in the mountains. Most nights I’m out within 30 minutes and sleeping had been such a struggle for me, still is, but using this has helped a ton.

7 Likes

I have a friend who always used an app on his phone. A bunch of friends went on a cycling trip and we roomed together. I personally love some rain and thunderstorms. Problem is, when it’s the real thing I want to stay up because I just enjoy the sounds so much.
That machine you got seems pretty nice though. I might have to check one out.

2 Likes

I’m the same way when it comes to those sounds in real life. I think the trick is that it takes my mind to those places and silences all the other traffic that runs through my head at night.

I highly recommend it. I know 5 other people that purchased them after my daughter and me got ours and they all love them.

2 Likes

Unfortunately sleep is part and parcel of recovery in the first 2/4 weeks ,maybe try a long bath ,reading b4 bed,light exercise,bedtime meditation,will all help you to relax.

2 Likes

I am sorry you are having a hard time sleeping and I understand. It sucks not getting the sleep we need. Are you able to listen to guided sleep meditations? They help me a lot. Here is a link to some that I like…

Guided sleep meditations

2 Likes

Any chance you can link to that machine or maybe it’s brand name?

1 Like

Here it is!

Brookstone® Sleep Sound Mixer | Bed Bath & Beyond
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/brookstone-reg-sleep-sound-mixer/5391833

4 Likes