Lapse in recovery

Unfortunately busted last night at a concert. It was to soon to be in that environment after only a month sober. Feel pretty disappointed but also want to get straight back on the wagon. Wish I hadn’t have gone and will be aware next time that I am not ready for events that cause me social anxiety like that.

:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I agree with Benedictine… start again as soon as you can…make sure the lapse does not become a long horrible relapse…I have lapsed many times and it is part of the journey…but hastened to add not an excuse…and learn from it…analyse why you did it and be totally 100…% honest with yourself…as you said it was probably too much too soon…if I can do so can you :grin:

2 Likes

Tessiebear…is your picture from an album cover.?

Thanks for your responses! I’m just going to go straight back to what I was doing and say no to any upcoming things that I’m not comfortable with yet. It’s not an album cover, just a picture I took :smile:. Do have any tips for letting go and not beating myself up over lapsing by any chance? Thanks again!

Hi tessiebear… simply that if no-one had lapses then giving up would be easy…I have lapsed and relapsed many times…and most people on sober time will have too… keep trying because it’s worth it…you are worth it…I can only speak for myself but I sort of knew I was going to lapse even planned them! A tiny voice deep inside me would be there telling me to just have one etc…I know what to look out for now…and the voice is locked up in a sound proofed box! And yes be careful not to do too much too soon…make plans for potential problem times… btw the picture looks like ‘power corruption and lies’ by new order :grin:

1 Like

Thank you @Robketts! It’s good to know even after lapsing that you found your way back to recovery and that I can too! They are becoming further and further apart and I’m seeing new triggers all the time. This one I knew I wasn’t ready for but had thought I’d be strong enough. The moment I got to the venue though it all went out the window. This time I’ll be declining any invitation to anywhere that isn’t home, a meeting or to a trusted friend’s house. I really want this and won’t give up! Appreciate the advice and conversation on here a lot. I googled the album and I can see what you mean! :smile:

1 Like

I agree with both Robketts and Benedectine…get right back on the wagon. You clearly have the desire and that iis the key. Relapse is part of the journey for most of us. But each time, you learn to be stronger and to recognize triggers. You need a “toolbox” of alternatives or things to do that shift your focus and relieve your stressors. I took up running & cycling as activities and have made all my close friends aware of my journey so there was always someone with me to keep me accountable & have my back. I have 4 1/2 years this time and I no longer have any desire for alcohol. I always keep it relevant though, knowing that relapse could happen if I let my guard down for too long.

2 Likes

You learned from the experience and that’s what matters the most

2 Likes