Learning a new language

Kanji of the day 0002

Dou

As is aikido, judo, kendo, bushido, ect. Meaning the way, road, or path. Also commonly used to refer to roadways.

Feel free to put a word in your native language you think is interesting, or in a language you are studying. I’d love to learn some new words!! :nerd_face::star_struck:

2 Likes

I currently sound like a 2 year old Chinese baby . Counting and pronouncing things wrong but it’s progress none the less. :rofl:

I like this kanji of the day as well. Very cool.

I also thing the number eight in simplified Chinese looks very cool:

And I think it’s supposed to be a number of good fortune which is why it’s good to get married on a day that adds up to 8.

That is progress! You are twice as good as a one year old!

One kanji a day adds up if you stick with it. Some people do ten or twenty but I don’t believe it. Max I can do, at the most, is maybe five. The test is a year or two down the road, whether we can clearly remember it, and use it in a reading/writing situation. I don’t believe people when they say they remember 1000 in six months, or even a year. One a day is solid!

I think @ifs is fluent in French as second language.

Hallo! Wie geht es ihnen? I’ve been “trying” to learn German for years now haha

1 Like

Ach so :grin::grin:

My husband is German so we travel to Germany every so often. I really want to see Switzerland though. Sehr schön

2 Likes

I’m a native speaker of English. I also speak Czech having lived there for some time.

One of the most important things anyone said to me about learning another language was that to do so, you need a proper understanding of your mother tongue first.

Czech works via a system of declension meaning how you use a word depends on 1 of 7 cases. In order to construct a sentence you need to know how to declenate a word so in the example of Czech, you do this by changing the end of most vowels to apply to which case you want to use it in. It’s because of this system that word order isn’t essential although it has a natural order anyway.

I learned proficient Czech after about 3 years of practice and did so very much simply by using it. If you really work on learning the grammar, the vocabulary will come. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is an awesome book, not just for learning a new language, but for learning anything.

Metalearning: First Draw a Map. Start by learning how to learn the subject or skill you want to tackle. Discover how to do good research and how to draw on your past competencies to learn new skills more easily.

Focus: Sharpen Your Knife. Cultivate the ability to concentrate. Carve out chunks of time when you can focus on learning, and make it easy to just do it. Directness: Go Straight Ahead. Learn by doing the thing you want to become good at. Don’t trade it off for other tasks, just because those are more convenient or comfortable.

Drill: Attack Your Weakest Point. Be ruthless in improving your weakest points. Break down complex skills into small parts; then master those parts and build them back together again.

Retrieval: Test to Learn. Testing isn’t simply a way of assessing knowledge but a way of creating it. Test yourself before you feel confident, and push yourself to actively recall information rather than passively review it.

Feedback: Don’t Dodge the Punches. Feedback is harsh and uncomfortable. Know how to use it without letting your ego get in the way. Extract the signal from the noise, so you know what to pay attention to and what to ignore.

Retention: Don’t Fill a Leaky Bucket. Understand what you forget and why. Learn to remember things not just for now but forever.

Intuition: Dig Deep Before Building Up. Develop your intuition through play and exploration of concepts and skills. Understand how understanding works, and don’t recourse to cheap tricks of memorization to avoid deeply knowing things.

Experimentation: Explore Outside Your Comfort Zone. All of these principles are only starting points. True mastery comes not just from following the path trodden by others but from exploring possibilities they haven’t yet imagined.

booky

3 Likes