Let's start again

Hi! I’m back. After a month without alcohol in December, I started drinking again. I was back to my “not incredibly excessive but certainly not healthy” drinking. The truth is that I always thought I wasn’t ready to quit completely and I just wanted to try and cut down. Normally sooner or later I would drink too much, feel terrible and say “never again”. Until I feel better. This time my day one doesn’t follow a night of excessive drinking and the inevitable hungover. Some recent events just compelled me to realize that drinking is so bad for our body. I must keep it in mind when I think I can just have a couple of beers like everybody else. Now it’s very late here and I need some sleep. But I couldn’t sleep without coming back here and commit again.

24 Likes

Welcome back!

1 Like

Thank u for sharing , in my book relaps is not a failure . For me i can not belive i can handle one or two beers . It would just lure me back to my old self . That would be the end of me with time . All i can is controll my choices , focusing on not to drink or juse anything today . Life can be a struggle i know that for sure . Its a huge test every moment . Im living for today , if i struggle i 'll call my sponsor or trusted friend or fam . Welcome back , to day is a good day . Focus on whats good .

6 Likes

Thank you all! I’ve just had to deal with quite a stressful situation, one of those things that happen when you move to another country and you feel stupid because you don’t understand the language like a native speaker. Normally I would go to a pub, have a beer, chill out and forget. Today I’m going to do something different and walk until my mind is calm. And/or I might have some chocolate :innocent::innocent:

6 Likes

It’s always nice to return, knowing we all are your personal cheerleaders! Go Rain! Personally, after my last relapse, it took me 3 months to figure this shit out…AGAIN. I know that I can’t be a just a social drinker, and that one time I tell myself I can have “just one,” I find months of my life gone. It gets old starting over and over and over…Congrats on your decision to return! I’m on Day 37 myself😁

7 Likes

Welcome back to the land of the clear heads! Well, usually-clear-heads.

3 Likes

I can relate to every sentence you wrote. I’m on day 3 after 2 weekends of relapses and just want to go back to being healthy. You can do it and feel better! I’m here trying with you.

4 Likes

Day 1 completed. Instead of beer I had an espresso, and now I’m making pizza to keep my hands and mind busy :grin: with the 13$ I’ve saved I’ve bought a small bottle of truffle oil to put on it. Tomorrow I plan to wake up early, go out for a walk, work hard and eat healthy. And drink a lot of water!

6 Likes

Day 2. The weekend is near and I’m devising my plan not to relapse. I hope my boyfriend wants to stay at home, but he’s working so hard these days and he deserves to go out for dinner if he likes to. I should simply order some water, and enjoy his company (and the food!!). Now I’m trying to find out what works best for me. Thinking that I’ll never drink again for the rest of my life is overwhelming. But I’ve found out that saying “I won’t drink today” doesn’t really work either. I feel like I’m lying to myself. It’s true, I won’t drink today, but I immediately start thinking I might drink tomorrow, or during the weekend. And tomorrow it won’t be easy to say no after I somehow allowed myself to think I might drink. So at the moment I feel a 30 days goal is what works best for me. Not too short and not too long. Easy to manage when people are curious about my change or offer me a drink. I know my brain could react to “I won’t drink this month” exactly as it reacts to “I won’t drink today”, and this my be a recipe for relapse on day 31. It happened in the past, even if the circumstances where different. But I hope by then I’ll have strengthened my motivation and acquired a bit of a habit to being sober, and I’ll be ready to go on for another month. This Sober March thing already makes me feel better about the weekend… But any advice is welcome!!!

6 Likes

DIDO everything you said, I think and do!

I heard if you eat something sweet it could help curb the desire~

1 Like

HA! MY Brain is tired…i meant DITTO!!!

HOpefully I’ll regenerate some brain cells when not drinking​:rofl::joy:

Welcome back as I am back myself​:cry::cry: I have learned my 1st time no matter what you won’t be put down here as long as you have the desire hope not long!!!

I keep relapsing, thinking I can drink in moderation. And it works sometimes, but then I find myself like today, with a terrible headache, upset stomach, not able to leave my bed and wasting the whole day. I haven’t found my strong motivation yet. But all I can do now is take care of myself and start again. Every failure is a lesson.

2 Likes

Oh gosh every time I quit I was in the throws of a wicked hangover. Took myself to the ER once.

I don’t know if my hangovers are really worse now or if it’s just that I didn’t care when I was younger. I should write down in detail how I feel today and read it again and again next time I think I’m in control and can have “just a beer with a friend”

1 Like

I got cold feet and never went in. I was really dehydrated and finally tolerated water again. I don’t know how daily drinkers do it. My hangovers are unreal. I wanted help and called lots of psychiatrists constantly getting runaround. I called about 10 and got nowhere.

Thankfully I quit on my own.

2 Likes

I can completely relate to everything you wrote. I thought 30 days would be an easy goal, yet kept failing by day 4. Alcohol is so social which makes its so hard to avoid!! I wish you the best of luck!!! Remember it’s day by day and why you’re doing it!

1 Like

Then do so! Write down how you feel today and write down your reassons to stop. Put it on a place so you can see it every day. Look back at yesterday. What can you change so you do not relapse next time. Try lo learn from your relapse. Most of us has one ore more relapses in the beginning. It’s 3 steps forward and two steps back, but still forward!!
So keep on going! :facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

2 Likes

Thank you! Alcohol is everywhere. I live in a beautiful city full of pubs, and normally I really drink only to enjoy the taste, the sun and the view. Most of the time I can stop after a drink, but sometimes I can’t and I don’t want that to happen anymore. I can’t take the risk. But it’s so hard!! I need to change my habits. Even going out for a walk is a trigger, but I can’t work at home all day. On Saturday a couple of friends are planning to go to the beach. One of them doesn’t drink, which is good. I’ll make sure I’ll get my coconut water before I can even think of having a beer!

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll certainly follow your advice. On day 1 motivation is always strong, but then I feel better and think I could just have one drink. I must break this cycle.

2 Likes