Let's start again

Day 1 completed. It’s good to go to sleep knowing that tomorrow I’ll wake up feeling good. No headaches, no need to worry about things I might have said or done. Time and energy for work. :facepunch:

2 Likes

I am in the exact same situation, like exactly the same. I am on my first week on Friday post “horrible I’m never drinking again” hangover. You can do it!

1 Like

You only have to exercise complete control over the first drink. Don’t give yourself permission. Don’t find an excuse to give yourself permission. You defeat that first drink, and you won’t have to worry about the 2nd or the 5th or the 10th.

If it’s important, we will find a way. If it isn’t, we will find an excuse.

4 Likes

I am on day 2, Again! I go to therapy outpatient program twice a week. I so have a lit of mental issues & have now upped my therapy. Never did this binge thing, I have been doing last year. I have such anxiety and panic. It’s absolute worst have. Few day binge. But, then you forget and think, I won’t this time. And yet I still do. Just trying to push forward. Everyday is another day for change :blush:

1 Like

Ok, I’ve just bought myself a present. I’ve invested the money that I’m not going to spend on alcohol in the next two weeks to buy a yearly subscription to a set of online “brain games”. My brain is foggy and it’s a waste of opportunities. Time to train body and mind!

2 Likes

I quit drinking 109 days ago without any real plan for how long the would be. I was just over all if it.
This book, Kick the Drink… Easily! by Alan Carr really helped me change my perspective and wrap my head around being sober for life. It’s a very repetitive book however so is the decision not to drink… You can order it on Kindle, not sure if they have it audio or on Audible. Well worth the price and time it takes to read it.

4 Likes

Alcohol only adds to a foggy brain. Fo sho!

I might have read that book in Italian a few years ago…Time to read it again when I come back to Italy :wink: Thanks! :smiley:

So… Day 2 completed. The plan for tomorrow is fish and chips at the beach…that for me, as a sober vegan, means chips and a bottle of sparkling water :stuck_out_tongue: at least I’ll feel less guilty! Never say no to chips! :fries:

4 Likes

3 Likes

This is a good substitute for alcohol :grinning: I’ve lived in a beautiful but cold city all my life and this is a great change. Let’s make it greater :blush:

1 Like

Hold your head up. Guilt and shame are the two worst causes of death from relaps and your better than that, and your worth it.

4 Likes

Another day 1. The reason is always the same. I think I can control it. I’ve been able to do it so many times, so why not? I can just have a couple of beers and have fun like everybody else, then go home and be perfectly ok the following day. But it doesn’t work like that. Too often I drink more than I had planned and do things that I regret. And the following day I’m useless. Like today, fighting with my headache and trying not to think that I have some work to do. Then I start feeling better, I forget this feeling, it’s a beautiful sunny day and I want to drink, just for the taste. And everything happens again and again.
So today I need to change something and I’m going to look for a recovery program. This time I really want to work hard to improve my life. I want to be proud of myself.

1 Like

Congratulations! 7 years is huge!
I only drink (drank!) beer. I did it mostly for the taste, but then the alcohol in it made me want more and more. I’ve tried NA beers but the taste is not too good, they are not always available etc. etc. so in the end I had the normal one. I think I need to change all those associations in my brain like beach=alcohol, friends=alcohol, dinner=alcohol, holiday=alcohol. When I was a child I went to parties, had an orange juice and had fun even if I was shy. Why can’t I do the same now? Why do I think I’m cooler with a beer in my hand? And then, when I finally decide to have a mocktail, the voice in my brain says “this is just sugar and even more expensive than beer! It’s not worth it! Have a beer like everybody else!” No way. I can’t even think to go to a pub in early recovery. I must just avoid it for a while, even if it’s where all my friends usually meet.

So yesterday I managed to go to dinner with friends and stay sober. It was a sort of “business dinner” as well, and ideas planned months ago, so I didn’t want to miss it. Two of us had a beer (just one) and the other 3 had water or tea. Because this is what people who don’t have a problem with alcohol do. They can share a bottle of wine with friends if someone wants to order it, but they can just have water and enjoy their food and friends’ company. It makes no difference, it’s not important. I am different. I had to have my beer to feel ok. If I was having fun I’d have probably wanted more, without realizing my friends had stopped having fun with me an hour ago. But not yesterday. Yesterday was good. I woke up with a headache this morning, but I know it’s not a hangover.

1 is too many and 1,000 is not enough . welcome back , you got this !!

1 Like

@Rain76 I’m in the same boat. I cannot count how many times I have failed to stop drinking. I always think that I can just have one or two…but no…it never is just one or two. Then I wake up the next day feeling sick and not remembering what I’ve said or done. And the shame. It’s awful.

I had to go out tonight… on day 1, and friends asked why I was not drinking. I am not ready to share my reasons, so I said I had work to do later and needed to be alert. I feel I need to give an excuse. Is that weird? Has anyone else dealt with this?

Welcome @Rain76 and @BreakFree. The thing is that we never will be in control of our drinking. Alcohol always leads to want more and more. I’m fine with not drinking in public or socially. My choice was it to have a Martini just to calm down after a heavy day at work or to refresh my energy level when I had to do things etc … in ended up having a bottle of Martini at night almost 5 times a week. Even if I decided to only have a glass. It never worked. I was always functional but I wanted to get over it. With this app I feel I can make it. It took a few resets for me as well and i am only on day 13 again but I felt stronger every time and every day and more determined than ever. Being sober is the new COOL @Rain76. Just stay away from the first drink and enjoy sobriety :muscle: Have a great sober Easter everybody

3 Likes

The problem of every alcoholic is that one day he or she can drink normally. If that person can my hats off to them. I am thinking of drinking again but I lack any kind of control and don’t want to tear things down like I always do. Time to be the person I wanted to be. A sober life first and foremost.