Letting Family In

If you managed to keep your addiction hidden from your family, did you decide to let them know your struggles once you were sober or did you keep it to yourself?

My family has been a major stress in my struggles. I try not to blame because I make my own choices but a lot of things that happened to me were because of family. They are not super close to me so they do not know my struggles. I think I will keep all this to myself. I was just wondering what everyone else did and why.

By keep this to myself, I do have an outlet! I just meant to keep it from my family.
Happy Wednesday :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I kept it to myself until I had some sober time under my belt then I would let some family members know when they enquired that I had problems and why I now do not drink.
I think you know who is going to help you on this and who is going to make it more difficult, and family can sometimes add to the problems. For me it was best to leave them out until I had developed an ability to be content and committed in my sobriety.

My family all knew i had a problem especially at parties and weddings falling all over the place , later on i wasnt invited to any family gatherings in case Mr Hyde turned up lol

2 Likes

I have no desire to tell my family and I think I will keep it that way. I think they will come off as super judgemental towards me. Like when someone expected you to be a failure, but you didn’t fail, they would use this to determine that you are, indeed, a failure. That’s their opinions though.
I’ve come to realize that friends make better family. Family is chosen.

2 Likes

I’m 4 months alcohol free and haven’t told most of my family. They aren’t very open to therapy or admitting flaws so I’m keeping it to myself until the time is right. Do what is right for you to protect your sobriety. :heart:

1 Like