Letting my emotions get the better of me

Today I went to school and the first thing to happen was to walk into the attendance office and have not 1 teacher but 3 speak to me at once so that made me feel overwhelmed and it triggered a panic attack so i put my headphones in to try and cool myself off and walked into 1st lesson physics and i hate that lesson and i only had one headphone in and i completely forgot i had it in and the teacher saw it and never said anything but the next time he saw them just took them off me with no warning. I was already falling to bits and that pushed me over the edge as it was the only thing stopping me from listening to the echoes of what the other 3 teacher said to me that triggered this in the first place . So like a normal person I spoke to him after the lesson and explained and all he said was 'I’ll speak to your head of year ’ she then called my mum which I have only just discovered. After that convo I was so overwhelmed that I began to dig my nails into my hand
After 15days of holding myself together that 1 small thing just tipped me over and I’m now starting from the bottom however my mum didn’t make it any better as she missed the call so asked me why the school rang so I explained and she said ’ well georgia it’s not one rupe for you and another for the rest you shouldn’t have had them in I dont need this crap right now you just dont have your headphones in simple as ’ while I’m stood there trying not to fall apart and thinking wow so I should’ve just had a panic attack and cried in front of my entire class and teacher. Thanks mum great advice .
I have now just cried into my pillow for 10mins and took a deep breath and walked downstairs like nothing was wrong

1 Like

Is there anyone at school you can talk to? A counselor or a nurse? Or maybe even your head of year?

We can’t always expect people to know how to support us and even if we think they should know, just because they don’t always get it right doesn’t mean they don’t care. Finding the right way and the right time to talk about how you feel and what you need can be difficult so being able to talk it through with someone first might help.

I don’t know where in the world you are but remember Samaritans are there to listen. UK number is 116 123.

1 Like

I do speak to a councillor and my head of year however neither of them really know how to deal with me and it’s sad cause to them I’m just another kid they deal however I have to deal with my shit every day

Just because they don’t know how, doesn’t mean they don’t care. They wouldn’t be doing those jobs if they didn’t care.

Glad to hear you’ve got some support in place and you’re reaching out, that’s the way to do it

I try to reach out but people seem to run when I do so I’ve kinda just pulled back instead of letting anyone else have the chance

Your head of year and your counselor are good places to start. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, do the work you need to do to protect yourself and remember, progress not perfection!

What are you staying sober from?

hey! how old are you? im 16 and i have been through similar experiences at school especially. i am always here if you want to message me! i believe in you

I’m trying to stop self harming

1 Like

I’m 14 and my school is one of the worst in my area in most opinions

1 Like

Haven’t seen @Kakimime1 in a while but know she has some solid strategies in place which she might be able to share.

I am not saying life is easy or things will be perfect but with the right help and support it can get better.

Hey! Been mad busy and mad bad lol :laughing:.
Most of the time, I use therapy to make sure it doesn’t get to the point I want to self harm.
Also deep breathing and venting on this app are super helpful. I also use the 5 senses technique to move my focus and ground me. I think of 5 things I can see, 4 I can touch, 3 I can hear, 2 I can smell, and 1 I can taste.
Also, depending on what country you’re in, they have different rules for students with disabilities. Here in the US, we have IEPs to provide services. Like for me, I can keep earbuds in and I can wear sunglasses if necessary. Idk if you can have something like that explaining your rights.

1 Like

Erm I’ve never heard of things like that I know that if you can prove to a counsellor that earphones do help you then they can negotiate special permissions for you to have them but that’s hard to prove for me because I still show the signs of a panic attack with earphones in they just allow me to escape the place I’m in so I cant really prove what’s in my head

Yeah. Idk. For mine, I have therapists and they’ll write notes for me. I don’t really know how to like prove how your own brain works other than trying to explain. Maybe try writing over a period of time. Then work up a note for your counselor using a ton of detail on why exactly it helps.