Life changing decisions?

Hi all! How is everyone doing?? I was just wondering if anyone ever had to make like extreme/life altering changes in order to stay sober.

I’m finally at fifteen days sober for the first time in a really long time and I’m really proud of myself, but I had to completely change. I moved eight hours away with my family, got a new job, and feel like I completely restarted my life. It’s a little scary and I was just curious if anyone had any similar experiences.

7 Likes

I didn’t have to make any life changing decisions to get sober, but wanted to chime in to say good for you for doing what you have to do for a better life! :pray::sparkling_heart:

Edit to add… Since being sober my life has changed a lot though!

4 Likes

I quit my job and ditched my “friends”. Best decision ever.

4 Likes

I walked away from a lot of “friends”. Those that didnt support me getting sober had to place in my life. In the end, it was the best decision I ever made

3 Likes

1st of all… congratulations on 15 days sober!! Right on girl!! And yes I definitly made huge changes to attempt to stay clean and sober… problem is I haven’t quite succeeded in staying clean and sober for too long as of yet (working on it tho). I have struggled with addiction on and off for 22 years. 6 years ago I made the choice to start fresh and rebuild a new life by moving 1203 km (2 provinces) away. I needed to move to get away from my abusive ex, the sex trade and from other people who I felt influenced my using. The trouble is, is that my addictive behavior and addictive thinking came with me. When people talk of the “geographical cure” and that it doesn’t really solve the issue of addiction, I can understand that now, because I needed to do the inside work. Don’t get me wrong… moving was still a good choice in my opinion. I wasn’t getting triggered left right and centre being here than I was back home. But the inner “stuff” I still have to work on. The trauma, the learning to live life on life’s terms, the learning how to cope with emotions, is all stuff I’m still working on. Moving didn’t get rid of that. I’m still stuck with me lol but I moved and even tho I am still working on recovery, I am happy that I moved. I’ve met diff people, got a diff job, and live in a city that’s new and exciting, where I’m not triggered by most people, places and things. Over all it was a good choice to move. But I shouldve known from the beginning that it would “cure” my addiction.

1 Like

Congratulations on your sobriety and doing what you need to be safe, RIGHT ON :sunglasses::metal:t2:!!!

1 Like

sobriety is an extreme life change in itself. congrats on 15 days sober! :heart:

2 Likes