Life is hard

Well last Saturday I relapsed. I had almost 14 months sober. I regret my relapse because I had the worst hang over. And I apparently emailed my sister and the drug and alcohol counselor, which I don’t remember. This happened on my last relapse. Why haven’t I learned? I had zero thoughts of drinking on Saturday, so what happened, man I let myself down. My first beer made me feel good, then finished the six pack, went back to the liquor store and got a ten pack, and things got bad. I learned a hard lesson.

7 Likes

Wow, 14 months sober is huge! How did you manage to stay sober that long? Just because you screwed up for one day don’t beat yourself up about it. Were you doing meetings? AA is want finally is working for me. And its a structured program with a support system which is exactly what I needed. See what you can change up this next time around.

2 Likes

I went to outpatient for 7 months last year, I really liked it there and got to stay 4 extra months. I was kept busy 5 days a week, I had a reason to Get out of my apartment, made some friends. For the first time I got brutally honest with others and myself about my alcoholism. Then last August when I graduated that sense of purpose kind of left. I think maybe that’s why I relapsed, I feel I have no purpose. I think I may go to AA, maybe that’ll help me with loneliness. I think I found the reason why I relapsed. Thanks for replying, I had no idea why I relapsed. Now I know.

4 Likes

Hi @Patty_Avery,
You can do another 14 months - and more after that! It’s so very worth the hard work to stay sober. I wanted to write because I see in your picture you are holding a baby. Whether it’s yours or not it’s clear that that little one in your lap is special to you. Think deeply about how to prevent this from happening. Get your toolbox together, make your program so you can be there in your full awake self sober. We are here to help.

1 Like

The best thing is you didnt lose those 14 months sober!!! You cant undo them. Just dust yourself off and move on. Get back to doing what you were doing that kept you sober for 14 months. I do however know how bad it feels. I was almost 10 months when I relapsed and stayed out for a month. Today I got my 30 day chip again and it felt just as good as when I got my last 30 day chip.

4 Likes

Been were you are. Had 5 years sober myself and then relapsed. I drank for 1,5 year. So don’t be like me! Go back on that sober train right now and leave that relapse behind you!
You can do it, you know what to do to stay sober.
Those 14 months are not waisted, they learned you how to live sober, how to handle cravings, how to decline drinks, etc.
So let’s go!! :facepunch:

4 Likes

Yes that’s my youngest nephew Alex, who I just adore! Now he’s 8 years old! :blush: I also have a 19 year old nephew and a 16 year old nephew. They give my life meaning! I’m doing better, I was really depressed about the relapse but I’m in a better place now. No drinking since. Thanks for the support!

3 Likes

Thank you for the update. Hope your doing well

That’s great news! Youth brings out our Youth!
Having a (sober) auntie will mean a lot to those boys.

1 Like