Long overdue

Well it’s time to get real with myself… I’m expecting my first kid next year and I want to be clean for months when my blessing arrives… Alcohol is my gateway drug… Once I’m drunk enough I turn to certain drugs and then gambling… This has been going on for years… My finances and well being have had enough… My gambling has put strains on the most important relationships with the people I love the most… I’ve been trying to seriously quit for the past year and I have gotten a lot better but once I stir up those demons I set myself back again… I’m tired of the relapses… The addict in me makes it seem like life will be hard without my vices but I’ve come to realize that it can’t be as hard as life gets after I succumb to them… I’m going for the gold this time… Can’t wait to become a great, sober Dad!!

6 Likes

Good to hear from you. Sounds like you’re ready to do this thing. Keep reading here and let us know how things are going.

1 Like

Let me offer you this from a Dad who didn’t start out sober, but has become so: your child will appreciate you so much more without the substances.

I’m 5 years clean of alcohol, and if I even joke about having a drink, my daughter immediately says “no.” It’s such a sign to me of how different I am now without booze, how much better I am without it.

1 Like