Looking to try to gain support and accountability!

Hello all… in late 2015 at age 30 I got in a touch of trouble with a DUI charge that I luckily got reduced… I have been drinking since 16. Over the years it got worse and worse and I always said I would quit. Finally the day I got the ticket I quit. I didn’t drink for 4 years and it wasn’t really hard, I just did it. Now the last year or so I have drink here and there, but I found myself going back down the road of drinking, drinking, and drinking not daily but when I start I can’t stop. I have a wife and 8month old little girl and they don’t deserve this. Today I say enough is enough!!! Please any suggestions to to keep me on the path of sobriety are appreciated!

14 Likes

Welcome to TS! Your wife and daughter do deserve more, but even more importantly, you do! Lots of resources here. Find a local sober community and make connections. You have plenty to keep you busy. I’m not drinking today, and probably not drinking tomorrow. ODAAT!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! Today has gone great and my normal issue is after a few days I get comfortable and decide it won’t hurt to have one…But hopefully with even being here I can talk about it.

1 Like

I appreciate your story. It reminds me that I too think I can just have a few after a long length of sobriety. Next thing I know I’ve gradually slipped back into a realm of driving drunk, open seal while driving, and putting lives on the line. What about my career? What about my family? Damn! What was I thinking?!
…Then trying to start all over again.
Keep looking for the positives of your sobriety. That helps me… I appreciate how I feel every morning. Clear head, positive energy, no hangover. I use that as fire power throughout the day to get me to the next. Possibly use that DUI as a reminder of how awful it must have been to go through. You’ve got this!

3 Likes

Try a meeting might help you wish you well

Thanks everyone!!! Just to see I’m
Not alone and people are here commented with no knowledge of me makes me feel even better!!!

Yes I have a lot to lose and why would I want alcohol to take that from me!!!

1 Like

Hi Kevin, today is day one for me. I’ve used TS for several years now. I was sober 4 months last year and what kept me sober was reading here daily. It was easy to not open the app and start drinking again, but it wasn’t worth it. You have found a great community here that has loads of helpful information. You got this! We are glad you are here!!

5 Likes

Hi Kevin. I am also on day one. I slipped back into really hard binge drinking recently. My adult son wrote me a letter , explaining that he wants me around for not only him and his young family, but also for my wife, and his mother, of 30 plus years. Keep the faith man! I know that this has to happen for me, or it will eventually kill me.

3 Likes

Thanks for the comment… it’s definitely not worth losing everything for a few hours of feel good!

5 Likes

How are you feeling today man?

2 Likes

All good today and yesterday!!!

5 Likes

Welcome!!! You sound like a great guy!!!

Someone told me Functional Alcoholics are the worst alcoholics because they never quit until something really bad happens. DUI, lost job, accident, health issue etc before they actually accept they are a drunk. That’s me and probably you.

I look at your profile picture and think what a great guy, wonderful wife and child. That dude could never have a drinking problem and that’s what makes it so hard. You have a lot even while drinking. Good job so let’s try and keep all that!!!

This is what has helped me. I’m only 50 or so days in but I’m finally starting to have evenings where I wake up in the morning and completely forgot about drinking the night before.

I never drank during the day. Work and drinking just isn’t fun for me so it was always home time after sports etc I’d fire up five or so stiff vodka sodas.

Start doing things you never did before or did before that didn’t involve alcohol. I always went to the gym. Never drank before or at the gym so I started working out way more. Plus the gym is full of healthy people who don’t drink period.

I started telling people I knew would support me that I’m done. Not taking a break or detoxing but straight up mother fucking DONE. Like AA done. Every morning some 65 year old guy at the gym who has been sober for nearly 15 years and looks like an underwear model is waiting to ask me if I drank the night before. I know every night he’s waiting in morning. He said he even has a piss test for me in his truck if he thinks I’m bull shitting him. He said he was a fat slob and his wife hadn’t slept with him in years before he quit drinking.

Let people know. You’ll be surprised at how many people wish they could stop too. Eliminate toxic people who think being an alcoholic is a good idea.

I remember my father in law telling me when he quit smoking years ago he went to smart and final and loaded up on bubble gum, pretzels,
Candy etc anything to keep his oral fixation at bay. He said it worked. So when I quit drinking I made a gallon of decaf sun tea everyday when I got home. It’s now part of my nightly ritual. I get my glass jar out, fill it up, set it outside and start my coals on my weber grill. Tea and steaks are done usually about the same time.

Lastly, just stay busy. Or busier than normal. Go to a friends house that is not much of a drinker to watch the game (take your gallon of tea, also in a pint glass it looks just like an IPA), sign up to coach sports, volunteer etc just to add something else to be busy. If you have free time like I do at lunch today come to this site and inspire others.

6 Likes

We do it one day at a time, sometimes one breath at a time! What really has helped me is online zoom NA/AA meetings. You don’t even have to show your face and you can just listen. That’s how I started out and then I branched out into in person meetings and now I have met so many amazing friends along the way……somehow I’ve managed to string days to weeks and now 10 months of sobriety together and my life has meaning and purpose. I’m proud of myself and how far I’ve come which is a far cry from the strung out mess I was a year ago!

4 Likes

Just keep reaching out. Also remember your a daddy. Wish you an amazing journey.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Yesterday was a rough day for work… but I came home enjoyed taking care of my hunting dogs, and sat and watched some tv. Enjoyed time with wife and little one!!! I remember the feeling of sobriety and like it so I think this group plus my mindset I will make it through !!! Thanks again for all the support and all the suggestions.

1 Like

15 days and some change and all is good. I hope everyone else has been doing well and keeping up with their goals!!!

1 Like

How are you doing?