Losing a relationship due to drinking

I’ve been in a great relationship with the same person for almost 10 months now. We like to go out and have drinks on the weekends but I’ve been drinking everyday. I told her I wasn’t drinking during the week but tonight she found out that I’ve been lying about it and told me that she wants to take a break from our relationship because that’s a deal breaker. I don’t think that it’s over yet but it will be if I can’t change. I’m afraid of losing her.

2 Likes

Well there’s your answer, how far are you prepared to go to keep the person you love. It might surprise you to know that many alcoholics lose everything and have got their head so far up their own arse they didn’t even see it coming until it was too late and even then the solution was ‘Fuck it I’ll have a drink and it’ll all be OK’
Take action NOW before it’s too late, if you can’t do it alone join a program, do some meetings and show the person you love your serious about this.
oh BTW if they leave you do the above anyway bc until you can find a way to love yourself don’t expect anyone else to love you either.

3 Likes

Thank you for responding to me. I do plan on making every effort To save what we have. That included taking the first up by Joining this support group. The first thing I did after our conversation last night was to pour What was left in that bottle down the sink . I also started looking at where there are meetings and even into counseling . I’ve invested So much into this relationship And I don’t know how our weekends are going to look Since a big part of them has always been drinking. We live an hour apart And I live alone so Monday through Friday I’m without her . I think a big trigger for me Has been boredom and loneliness . I’m afraid.

4 Likes

https://aahomegroup.org/

Both 24 hour meetings, the link will send you direct to join current meeting and the second one is zoom code no password. sit and listen or get involved it’s up to you but help is out there, all you gotta do is ask. :+1:

where do you live bc at 730 tonight I have a meeting I go to on zoom, it’s not your usual online zoom meeting as we don’t speak, we sit and listen to other alcoholics experience strength and hope, that’s 730 UK time if it interests you just let me know. If not just remember the offer still stands anytime.

1 Like

where do you live laaara if you don’t mind me asking

I will find you :grin:

1 Like

I’m in the U.S. Pennsylvania to be exact . Will I be able to only drink on the weekends? That’s a question that bothers me . I’m sure that’s something she will want to continue to do . At this point there are just so many unknowns as far as how I’m going to handle this or where this journey is going to lead me .

If you take care of yourself the rest will fall into place. To often in life we change for others when the change isn’t something we really want. If the changes we make are not for ourself resentments will build and the changes will not last.

Of course you should probably quit, you were here before which tells me that you were at the very least questioning your relationship with alcohol before. Only you can make that choice for yourself. Best wishes.

3 Likes