Losing sobriety motivation generally

The idea is to be proactive all the time. We have to work, and continue working at our sobriety.
If we start to loose motivation then we should go back over all our reasons.

Why are these no longer applicable? If you carry on drinking it will all happen again.

I do understand that children in themselves is a full time job, and as well as having a job, life can be chaotic, but…

The only obstacle I see here is you thinking!
A bucket list doesn’t have to include jumping out of an aeroplane, or riding a barrel off Niagara Falls!
Start small. Go back to school, distance learning, online!
Idk you interests, but you need to do something for you and treat it as a reward for being sober.
It’ll help with the motivation.

4 Likes

Maybe try a zoom meeting might help wish you well

2 Likes

I meant proactive in meetings. I have not totally given up, have been running regularly, for example. But I do see ur point.
And u are right, if I continue drinking then those more negative aspects will no doubt come back. But the last two relapses about a month apart did not involve them, so they feel less urgent somehow.

I have tried a few times, but there were many participants, and I just listened. Maybe I need to just try lots and find one with fewer people and see if actually talking helps. Or I could at least get to “know” them a bit.

1 Like

Thanks to those who replied, I appreciate it :kissing_heart:. Had a seriously meh day today, sober from booze, but indulged in some other less harmful coping strategies. But enough feeling sorry for myself, a pd opportunity - not massive, but something - came up, and a friend asked me to coffee next week. Time to actually start living my life! I also ordered the 30 day solution to jump start my sobriety.

3 Likes

I think if we recognise these types of days as what they are, just life, it helps to deal with them.
Life is still going to be the same, with the same up and downs. It how we see it now that is different. How we deal with it.
We are no longer running and hiding behind our crutch.
It gets easier as it becomes the new normal, as we grow in our sobriety but in the early days, it definitely still feels like the only way to deal with it is to hide.
That’s the feelings we have to recognise and stand up to.
Well done

2 Likes