Losing weight after getting sober

I have many reasons for wanting to quit alcohol but I’d like to know if others found they dropped extra pounds after getting sober. I have a hard time staying motivated, the longest I’ve made it sober is 3 weeks then I always give in. If I knew it would make a weight difference I feel it would really motivate me to push through and stay sober. I’d just like to know what everyone else has experienced

2 Likes

I’ve lost 11 llbs - 5 kg in 7 weeks, I’ve been exercising too and it’s starting to fall off and I’m getting toned again. Very motivating.

5 Likes

I’ve lost 28lbs since stopping drinking :grinning:

9 Likes

Unfortunately I’ve put on weight because of sugar…we have a love/hate relationship. I used to drink my calories and not eat. Now, I have meals like a normal person. I’m not too concerned, I get lots of exercise so in time it will even out.

5 Likes

Hi @Jenni
I asked the same question when I began my sobriety journey and it was one of my biggest motivators for getting and staying sober.

I began being more mindful of what I was eating (loosely tracking my calorie intake and switching to healthier snacks) and increasing the amount of exercise I was doing - gentle exercise at first… the weight started shifting and fast (it’s slowed down lately which is fine cos I’ve dropped 4 dress sizes)

Almost 6 months on I’ve lost nearly 56 pounds.

Now when I think about having a few drinks, I think Beer = excessive calories = NO thank you!!

Good luck :smile:

11 Likes

This is why I’m quitting. Stopped for just 24hrs and am down 1.5lbs…hoping it’s related. I was a 6beer or 1bottle of wine kind of girl. So hard to quit on such a sunny day. My motivation is at 0…so exercise and healthy eating will have to come later…I love chips and sugar.

Also curious as to how much people noticed weight loss.

4 Likes

I have lost weight, I also exercise every day.

2 Likes

Here’s one for ya. I lost 60 pounds in the last 4 months! It’s not like I was super over weight before but I defo was big. I weighed 260 in March and today I weigh just under 200 lbs.

I drank Redbull/Rockstar and vodka. A lot of it! So I was putting away about 6 of them cans a day. My doctor actually drug tested me cuz he thought I was on meth! Lol.

After I passed his drug test he explained that for all these years the alcohol slowed my metabolism. I should have never been that big. I eat well and work construction.

I call it a side effect of quitting Drinkin. An amazing side effect!! Hope this inspires you pal!! You can do it!!

8 Likes

I’ve gained weight as well, but I know it’s part of the process. Supposedly people gain 20 lbs in sobriety? Anyways, I gained the 20 and was okay with it since I know it’s a give and take. I now have lost 10 lbs and ready to lose the other 10 in this coming year. Slowly but surely!

3 Likes

i have lost about 30 lbs thus far loosing more now since i got back to running

1 Like

I need to go back on a more Mediterranean type diet because my body reacts better to fish, fruit, and vegetables. I’ve been eating heavy (meat, carbs) like my husband does and it’s not working for me.

1 Like

My partner is southern so all he eats is red meat and potatoes - lol. I’ve grown up eating fish and a lot of rice and vegetables being Asian and all.

I used to stress about making sure I made dinner that made him happy, but lately I’ve taken the back seat to make food I want to eat - and if he doesn’t want to eat it - he can go buy himself dinner because I’ve been making dinner for 10+ years everyyyyy night.

They are grown men - they can figure it out for themselves.

5 Likes

There was one time where I wanted him to go grocery shopping and take care of dinner - he had to call me while I was at work because he was lost in one of the grocery aisles trying to find salt. :joy:

2 Likes

Depends on what you replace the booze with. I have always typically loss weight. Gotta think 1 beer is like 150 - 200 calories. I typically drink 10 beers + a night when I’m binging plus whatever is in hard liquor plus late night garbage. That’s 1500+. If you do that Friday and Saturday., you’ve added 3000+ useless, dead calories. To lose weight, you need to eat 1500 or less a day.

So if you’re like me, not drinking will definitely result in weight loss.

1 Like

Lmao :rofl:

Thank you all for the responses! I will definitely use it for motivation to stay on track. I’m only 5’3 so every lbs makes a big difference for me​:grinning::grinning:

1 Like

I also gained weight :confused: during my 2 months sober. I think because I definitely replaced some drinking with sugary, carby food. I am not happy with the gain at all so this time I’m tracking calories, eating healthy, and getting much needed exercise.

Last time I checked down 15 lbs and I’m at 6 months today. I didnt start losing the weight until like month 4. It’s amazing what the body can do when you start taking care of it.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl: @justbreathe77, more like cottage cheese being a processed food, not whole. :purple_heart:

I haven’t drank soda in years, so that isn’t an issue for me. I have developed a mad crush on Halo Top Mint Ice Cream…chemicals…but so yum and 240 calories a pint. Hard to resist when you have a sweet tooth!

1 Like

@SassyRocks, Halo Top is yum! My favorite is the chocolate chip cookie dough! :yum::ice_cream:
Have you tried Enlightened? It’s pretty good too, a little more creamy than Halo Top.

1 Like