Losing weight after getting sober

@hamluv16, I haven’t seen that brand. :ice_cream:

My weight loss has been quite small…but that is because I’m trying really hard not to focus on it. My focus is simply on not drinking. I know I will lose weight but I’m letting it happen when it does.

Just in case you find that NOT losing weight makes you want to say “eff it” and throw in the towel…it can take up to 6 weeks for your liver to fully regenerate (assuming your liver hasn’t been damaged beyond repair) and then your liver will be able to function and metabolize like it is meant to be. THEN you will start to lose weight. I have found that I start to lose weight at about 1 month.

3 Likes

@SassyRocks I had never heard of Halo Top before…but on way home tonight after work I saw it at the store! I got Peanut Butter cup. Lately I’ve been indulging in Skinny Cow’s Salted Caramel Pretzel ice cream…:grin: 160 cal for a bar. So good. I definitely have an evening sweet tooth :joy:

1 Like

Me too @justbreathe77! Hope you like the Halo Top!

1 Like

I am more fit now as a sober person. I really not into exercise a lot but do yoga (on and off) and meditation.

1 Like

I’m about to turn 48 and I’ve lost over 30 pounds since I stopped drinking. I’m back at my college weight. I feel great and look better than I have in ages. I did not lose weight for the first six months of sobriety mostly because I was profoundly inactive and gobbling sugar like a fiend. After six months, I decided to get off the sofa and I got a step tracker (Fitbit). I walk everywhere now. I set a daily minimum of steps and walk it (or run it) every single day, rain or shine or snow or blizzard or guests or air plane flight, etc. I walk my steps. I prioritize it, just like my sobriety. And it’s connected me with my neighborhood in a way I didn’t anticipate. I walk to local parks daily, I get off the train three stops early and walk. And I’ve discovered all sorts of neat places in my city. Walking is a great way for me to clear my head and change my mood. Knowing I had the will power to quit drinking helped me realize I had the will power to meet other goals. I lost over twenty pounds the first summer I started my walking regimen and I’ve kept it off. In the last few weeks, I cut out added sugar – I still eat bread and pizza and things I like, I just cut out the boxes of cookies, pints of ice cream, the chocolate bars and the teaspoons of sugar in my coffee. The things that i used to “treat” myself with. I now eat fruit :watermelon: every day and love it. It was easier than I thought. As with any addiction, it was hardest in the beginning. I’ve lost a quick five pounds in the last few weeks thanks to the sugar reduction. And it feels great. The weight loss fuels my drive to continue the positive changes I’ve made. My advice, is get moving! It made a huge difference in my life.

7 Likes

Halo Top is awesome. But have to limit my purchases as it can be expensive and addictive…:blush: Birthday cake is my fav

1 Like

Same - six pack or bottle of wine at a time. I’m only 35 days in, but I’m feeling less bloated than I did when I drank beer - that’s for sure! Plus, no binging on greasy food the next morning to help ease my hangovers.

2 Likes

How many steps a day were you doing?

I’ve lost nothing on the scale but my belly size went down, my pants now fit better. I used to wear XL, now M fits mostly :hearts:

1 Like

My minimum is 18,000 steps a day. When I first got the Fitbit I went with the standard 10k, soon upped it to 12k and then found that 18k worked well and was achievable. I live in a city and almost never drive so it’s fairly easy and necessary to incorporate walking into every activity. And when I forget something at the store I think “ok, more steps!” I’m extremely consistent about it and it was amazi how quickly the weight started coming off.

1 Like

9 days sober for me and 6 pounds lost. At first, a lot of the weight came off as i was detoxing (couldn’t/didn’t want to eat). Now I am simply consuming far fewer calories due to my sobriety. The general rule of thumb is that a 500 calorie deficit per day = 1 pound of fat loss per week. I am now consuming ~1000 less calories a day, so i might expect 2 pounds of weight loss a week.

On another note; I found it hard to follow a healthy diet when i was drinking because, “F it!” If im already blowing my diet by 1000 calories with alcohol, why focus on a proper diet?! That was my thought process anyway… Now that that 1000 calories is gone, I have found a new motivation to watch the smaller decisions i used to shirk.

I also workout a lot, which helps :slight_smile:

Hope this is helpful!
Chris

1 Like

45 days , I’ve seen my trainer yesterday and I’ve gained 2 lbs of muscles and lost 7 pounds of fat. I’m training and eating well but it wouldn’t be possible with drinking. I’ve lost 2% body fat in 6 weeks.

I just tried the mint chip Halo Top tonight. Sooooo good!

1 Like

I’ve lost 15 pounds in 79 days. When I was drinking, I was eating super healthy and going to the gym 6 times a week. I kept gaining. I stopped drinking and put dieting and the gym on the back burner for a while. But without those empty calories and lots of sugar from alcohol, I’m losing despite not exercising and eating chocolate more than I should :wink:

1 Like

I. Love. Halo. Top. And it’s ketooooooo.

When I got sober I was 282. I’ve seen 226 on the scale. I just pretty much walk around a lot, purposeful walking. Average about 20k steps a day. I was keto before I got sober but it’s a lot easier to maintain the low carbs without the “fuckits” from the booze.

1 Like

I’ve lost 25lbs in 3 months, also gained muscle as I joined crossfit 6 days a week in combination with new eating habits about 2 weeks after I quit drinking. I feel and look soooo much better. If I didn’t do crossfit it would have been way harder to stay sober. I replaced drinking with something that is healthy for me and positive and I also love the competition :two_hearts::two_hearts: totally recommend this.

4 Likes

try chilly cow its WAY better!

2 Likes