Losses sober

So my mom called me earlier and said my grandpa (her dad) won’t be with us much longer. Now, 5 hours later she called me again to say he isn’t going to make it through the night. Her and my stepdad will be driving to NM for the arrangements.

Nov 20 marks a year from when i lost my dad. Last year i was 7 months sober on that day.

Its so hard for me to handle these sober. I think that is my only weakness in Sobriety right now.

4 Likes

I don’t have any advice but sending you lots of love and praying for wisdom, strength and courage for you in these difficult times. :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Just visited my dad’s, and nana and popos graves today.

Loss is never easy, but it’s a part of life. Sobriety is a part of your life too.

Nothing is worth picking up over.

Stay strong, you’re in my prayers

2 Likes

Thanks yall. He has now passed.

5 Likes

Im so sorry for you’re loss!!! Stay strong through the pain. Using only ever makes it worse. I can attest to that. I lost two of my close friends and dad is in state care. I used to use that as a reason to drink. But it just amplified the problems I had ten fold. Keeping you in my thoughts!!!

1 Like

Sober losses are losses felt today. Felt truly and deeply. That, in time, may then pass and become peace and celebration for the life lived.

Very sorry to hear of his passing. My love to you and your family tonight, @PeytonMarie.

4 Likes

@PeytonMarie - there are just no words comforting enough for loss like this. I’m so very sorry.

The blessing and curse of sobriety is that we get to feel again. Our emotions feel so big and rawly fragile. We remember the good and the painful. I pray that these next days and weeks allow you and your family the strength and peace to remember, to feel, and to grieve. Sending love to you all…

4 Likes

Very sorry for your loss. I imagine you’ll need to take good care of yourself so that you can take good care of your family.

1 Like

I am so sorry for your loss. I am not giving you advice, a mere suggestion here. Drinking for two years after my brothers death did not give me anything, any relief, nothing. Now I am sober, i understand that he would have been so happy to see me give up drinking. I will never use the pain of his loss as an excuse to drink. You can do this. You are stronger than you think. Just reach in and find that fierce person and fight for your sobriety. My condolences. :heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

So sorry to hear about your loss :heart:

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I’ve been thinking about loss too. My grandad died a couple of weeks ago. His memorial was last weekend. I attended sober and on the way home I reflected that after my dad died I went home and started drinking and I kind of never really stopped. It’s been 18 years. I don’t know what dad would have wanted for me, but it seems like a terrible waste.

Sober makes it all feel a bit too much, a bit too real, but at least I feel it now and not 20 years later.

I hope find comfort today and in the days to come :heart:

1 Like