Lost and need help/advice

I know there’s going to be lots of people feeling the same way when I say this but im truly very unhappy with my job and im struggling to go in now. On top of that i feel guilty for feeling that way considering the current climate and I should feel grateful to have a job but to be honest im just so fed up and its making me ill. What do i do?? Im so desperate to leave now. This is not only making me ill but its obviously fuelling my addictions of alcohol and cigs!

Im so close to just relapsing and I have no idea where or what I want to do.

1 Like

It may sound obvious but can you find another job?

as i said i dont know what direction i want to go in. I just feel stuck!

It can be overwhelming in this position. It is said that we shouldn’t make any major life changes in our first year sober.
That being said if you job is that bad then to me you need to do something if it’s going to get in the way of your sobriety.
Is there not something less stressful you can do until you get some sober time in?
What is it you do?

2 Likes

These things are tricky to deal with for sure, we either resent our job or we resent the people we work with, short staffed, shit staff and un thankful bosses. I used to walk to work and have panic attacks always thinking how can I not go in today, how am I going to cope financially if I leave. Firstly stopping drinking and drugs slowly made my anxiety calm down, then I started to look at the situation, could I change it and if not what was I going to do about it. So no I decided that actually the hours suit me and the money is quite good for what I do, can I Change the people I work with? No, so I have to accept that, am I living in self pity, yes, do I blame everyone and everything for making me have a drink, yes. But why bc nothing but your thoughts will make you drink. So when you wake up write a gratitude list add to it during the day, remind yourself that you job is a means to an end ‘Today I’m going to put food on my table, today I’m going to support my family or hobbies or new clothes’ my job is not there to do me a favour I’m there for a reason. Yeah I still work with a few idiots but they aren’t my problem at the end of the day. BTW the reason you drink is bc your an alcoholic not bc your job is shit.

10 Likes

Take a day or 2 off clear your mind of EVERYTHING take some personal time for yourself if your unhappy where you are have a back up plan and QUIT shoot if your not happy just leave of course i dont know your financial status or how your situation is but my opinion would be to take time for yourself amd truly see where you want to be . Definitly no cigarettes or alcohol that would only take you backwards you got this my friend

2 Likes

I like @Truckinmonster21’s idea, to take some time for yourself and think about your options. Nobody benefits from you relapsing!
For years I’m thinking about leaving my job, but I have no clue what else to do and how to start over. Since I’m sober (a month now) I get a bit more space in my head, but I parked the work subject till 2021 and try to get at ease with the current situation.
I hope you will find out what’s best for you!

2 Likes

Definitly i think its the best way to go about it before making a decision that might hurt your situation of course assuming i dont know your situation but either way time for yourself and seeing where you actually want to be is so benificial :grin:

2 Likes

@Galen_82 you’re doing awesome in your sobriety! You’re really fighting the fight. There is some great advice here already, I personally would follow what @Dolse71 said and in the meantime think about what other options you have. I just want to add one thing: alcohol will not make your job any less shite or your current situation any better. It will only make things more dramatic and impede your ability to think clearly and eventually solve your problem. Stay sober and calm. Wish you the best

3 Likes

Sometimes we find our jobs consuming most of ourselves and our life. If you can not bring yourself to leave this job, create rewards for yourself for going in. Maybe something in the morning, something when you get off work. Your favorite sweets, a movie, buy yourself something. Anything that can maybe make you say “okay work was worth it because I now have this” I wish you the best and I pray for your happiness.:pray:

1 Like

Wow. Spot on how i feel. Ive emailed some new companies already which actually has taken the edge off for now. Great advice everyone

1 Like

Yea understand. I work in health care but ive been struggling way before the pandemic. The pandemic just showed even more how bad my managers are. We’ve had problems with contracts, money, moral and bullying. Its just awful and i think it fuelled my drinking.

Ive already emailed some new companies and it made me feel a little better but its just becoming unbearable.

1 Like

…but you know what direction you don’t want to go, and that’s a start.

I’ve had toxic jobs before and I’ve foolishly endured the needless anguish. One day, I had enough. I had given the company as much of my soul that I could, I typed up my resignation letter, printed and signed it, and dropped it off on my manager’s desk. I felt liberated, and scared as hell. I didn’t have another job lined up and recently bought a house (in hindsight, probably not a smart move). But I took a risk and I bet on myself, and in the end, it paid off.

No one should have to give up their soul. You don’t know what direction you want to go, and that’s fine, but you know what direction you don’t want to go, and that’s valuable.

2 Likes