Mad Happy Sad Always An Excuse

I am currently 3 days sober from alcohol and pot. I have been an alcoholic since I can remember. Had some sober time and drank again. Today I had some unsure news about my new position coming up. I thought wow when everything is going good of course it goes wrong. I just wanted to drink my face off say fuck it. After about 20 mins I received another call about the position, and everything turned out ok. Then I wanted to say fuck it and drink to celebrate!!! Yay right. And I thought to myself wow, those are just some of the excuses you have given yourself to go and drink all day.

13 Likes

Alcohol is cunning baffling and powerful
For me personally my best defense is not taking that first sip. I know that is what the big book says and what they all say but it really is that simple
Good luck just remember one day at a time

7 Likes

I didn’t take it, (the first sip). It really played with my head today.

7 Likes

Yes! That’s the torture, no matter what’s happening there is always the thought of drinking. Mad Happy Sad.

Think about it, don’t drink about it.

7 Likes

You reached out that’s courage

6 Likes

“Mad Happy Sad Always An Excuse”

The “trick” is to turn that around 180 degrees. There is no excuse. None. Nothing makes us drink -or smoke, or snort, or shoot, or swallow- but ourselves. Once we truly realize that truth, once we truly believe that, we will drink no more. Because only we ourselves can make us stop; just as only we ourselves can make us drink. there are no external factors that make us use or not. it is all within ourselves.
It does take work to get to that point though, and quite a lot of it. And we can’t do that work alone. that’s why we do it together, for example right here. Glad you are here friend. Together we can do this. Hope to see more of you. Keep sharing. Keep learning.

4 Likes

It’s totally true. There is always an excuse, but the truth is, alcohol just always makes things worse for me. If I drink because I’m mad, I just get more angry. If I drink because I’m sad, I feel anxiety and depression. Even when I drink because I’m happy, things take a turn for the worse. Bad decisions, or mood changes, or just absolutely complete losing control. I wanted a drink so bad yesterday because I was feeling so frustrated, I wanted a drink today because I’m feeling so blah, but I didn’t drink yesterday, or today and I just can’t have one sip, or I will slip back into using any excuse to run my life. I handle things better sober and am learning to ride the waves of my emotions.
Thanks for the post. Glad you are here♥️

4 Likes

Riding the waves of our emotions is key. Plus not taking that first drink. It’s hard sometimes, our brain always has an excuse but we need to fight those urges. There is no excuse to drink. This too shall pass.

3 Likes

My sponsor told me when I get the urge to set a timer for 7 minutes and then do something anything reading calling someone something to distract my mind and by the timer goes off the initial itch will be gone

So far she has been right
Just remember it’s one day at a time
Easy does it
And reach out always

3 Likes