MADD is ruining lives

I don’t disagree with your statements. I do believe the title of this topic is ridiculous.
We all take a chance of ruining innocent lives when we get behind the wheel after drinking. That’s our choice & yes there’s probably not a state in our country that’s got a perfect way of dealing with this problem.
Personally I can relate to what you said about your brother & I’m sorry to hear that. I did the same thing myself 20 years ago and could have very easily killed a person because I was on the wrong side of the road. That person hit the ditch to avoid a head on collision with me. So I’m not trying to say I’m berter than anyone, far from it.
When we talk about what’s fair for us…it seems selfish to me. Who’s looking out for what’s fair for the innocent victims of drunk driving…MADD is one organization that comes to my mind.

2 Likes

Oh, I didnt answer your question from earlier. I got pulled over for a cracked tail light.

1 Like

My first offense I was pulled over on the side of the road and my buddy was out taking a piss

1 Like

I’m sorry it was a trivial charge. But I think it’s probably not common practice to just drive around for hours a day looking for cracked lights. Yeah that’s what they listed because it holds instant validation as compared to the crossing of center, failures to signal and just suspicion. I know it’s easy to blame anyone else but… Maybe you believe all cops are inherently bad. I don’t believe that are there bad apples yes but I respect the job they do. And yes I have got to wear those shiny bracelets but I deserved it.

1 Like

Oh no. I was completely understanding toward him. And he did tell me to that he was about to let me go but i when he gave me stuff back i looked at him and said thanks and he smelled the alcohol. Up until then he didn’t even know. Like I said all the legal stuff I’m for. Cops, judges, probation, the whole bit. They have a job to do. And yeah was over sure. I’m just saying they should be able to grant a work release of some sort.

1 Like

It is a double edge sword. You do need the ability to work. I am understanding. I just don’t agree 100%. I really hope that things work out for you on this first time around.

A friend of mine used to be a policeman here in the UK. This will sound ridiculous but it’s what he told me, he’s a Christian and is the type of person who won’t lie even if it drops him in it and causes problems.
They really do drive around looking for trivial things to stop drivers. And they do feign not hearing an answer so they can get closer to the driver in order to smell their breath. But it’s not a vendetta against drivers or having quotas or targets that they’re doing this for, it’s boredom. Or choosing a car colour for the evening. And, because the amount of paperwork they have to fill in is huge and ridiculous (the reason he left the force) they wouldn’t pull anyone over during the last few hours of their shift unless absolutely necessary.
This may not be the case in the US.

1 Like

I have 2 brothers in law and a good friend that are officers and this sounds pretty accurate.

2 Likes

Driving while intoxicated is insanely dangerous. If they can’t trust you to control your consumption, they can’t trust you behind the wheel. This is coming from someone with a dwi that crashed. And yes before I got help I did continue to do so after I got my license back after a year without driving after I told myself NEVER AGAIN. shit happens when you don’t think it will. Just like you probably thought you’d never get a dwi to begin with.

3 Likes

I am not advocating drinking and driving. I never understood why the penalties are different.

If a sober person swerves, no problem. Runs a light and wipes out a family, nothing more than a tragic accident.

But factor in a drug, even a sleep aid or a swig of NyQuil – both of which are treated in court the same as alcohol or pot or cocaine, you are impaired – and for the exact same offense, the penalties are amazingly more stiff. They are often debiltating.

That is the point. We do not differentiate impairment in rape cases or violent offenses. If you do that, there is hell to pay, no matter your state of mind.

And there is a huge misconception on here that only drugs and booze can earn those penalties. Nope. Those anti depressants can earn you the same trip as OP, as can pain meds for your back or allergy meds that cause drowsiness. Being “sober” has nothing to do with it. If the cop believes you are driving impaired, they hold you while the judge issues an order. They take your blood. Any chemicals they find, even legal ones you do not expect, will be used against you.

I was on the grand jury and heard dozens of cases on this. Many of them were antideprssants, and you all raise your hand if you are on ADs.

See? Not so easy to judge and throw stones, is it.

Saul

Are you really advocating that an accident is the same as some one who is a few drinks in and has the same accident? Ohh wait it’s okay if they know how to handle it right? In the circumstance where someone has drank he is not as alert as he would be sober and if you have that mentality that as long as you can control it… Good luck with addiction. I’m not sure why you are here you clearly must be able to control your addiction. Heck in your logic maybe addictions don’t exist? You seem to like to argue but you are making a mockery of addiction or those of us who have struggled with it. I wish you well and I am glad you are strong enough to control your addiction.

I feel for you man, it’s a tough sentence! So i understand your frustrations.

I understand your frustration, but driving is a privilege and not a right. Many people don’t get the “Don’t drink and drive” concept. It’s not like it’s a secret law that’s being enforced. It’s plastered all over the TV, radio, billboards and even at the bars/clubs we patroned at. If I had one drink I would not drive. PERIOD. I knew the finiancial consequences and risk.

I understand your gripe, but case in point it took you two times to fully understand the consequences. I would bet a paycheck you drank many times, and was never caught. When should the consequences be terrible, after a fatal accident? I could go on and on here…

There are many people out there that drink and drive going on 4+ DUI, without a license or car insurance.

I’m not trying to beat you up on the situation, but the laws are there to protect innocent people, from people like us.

1 Like

I feel for you. And what I’m about to say is an attempt to help not judge. I am not better than you or anyone and I am in no position to judge you or anyone. And the only reason I am responding is because it seems to me I recognize a pattern of thinking and behavior that I am often guilty of which has not served me well in this life. I might be wrong. But It sounds like you have misplaced your anger and are throwing yourself a pity party.

Out of curiosity, is there any other hobby or pastime that you would risk such enormous consequences for? If the consequences were as severe for eating, texting, grooming, or whatever else you can do while driving, would you still take a chance doing those things while driving?

If the answer is No, then I think this is a good time for reflection. Why is drinking the only non-essential activity for which you are willing to compromise all those essentials you mentioned (money, job, future prospects)?

If you truly just want to discuss the ethics of lobbying power and DUI law, then I honestly think this is a weird forum to do it. We are addicts not legal experts (well maybe some of you are).

I’m glad that I was able to get help and consider the perspective of other addicts in recovery because my delusional thinking game was on point. I was a “functional” alcoholic, I never got a DUI, etc. I was convinced of the supremacy of my own thinking and felt justified in my rage against people who didn’t see it my way. It was pure luck (or maybe grace) I didn’t face heavier consequences. I am truly grateful that for today at least, as long as I don’t pick up a drink, I don’t have to worry about my luck running out.

8 Likes

Very well said.

1 Like

Drinking and driving is against the law and there are severe penalties against it because those severe penalties stop the majority of non-alcoholics from drinking and driving. Only people with a very strong attachment to alcohol will decide to still use it when they need to drive.

I recently read a piece on a local drunk driving killing in which the mother of the dead children said, “I wish for nothing now but my dying breath.” Just reading that made me cry out in pain. It is for that type of pain that we collectively agree that drinking and driving needs to just stop. We all need to hear the hell you are going through so that WE don’t do it.

In this way, yes, you are taking a collective punishment for more than just your crime. I was involved in the justice system for a bunch of youth crimes and this is just part of how it works. Coming to accept that with humility is part of moving on. I still have to remind myself when occasionally things come close to coming back to haunt me (30 years later mind you) that I did the crime and I will accept what comes my way.

Still, I do sympathise with your work difficulties. I think @Chad_R has said some great things in this debate but he was wrong on one point: The law is meant to have grey areas. It is our polarised public debate that is pushing the laws towards black and white. For example perhaps it would have been more fair if your fines could have been tripled and you required to get an interlock but you could have been given the option to drive during work hours only. (But see above: Fairness to you is only one aspect of the law.)

I hope you get through this as best you can, it makes you stronger and puts a reasonable respect of the law into you.

4 Likes

BTW, for myself the deterrent worked and I never drove after drinking. I was certainly influenced by the fact that my father served 3 months in prison for his second DUI and has never been able to drive since. It continues to be a huge problem for him in Canada where everything is very spread out.

That was more than 20 years ago. This behaviour hasn’t been acceptable for quite a long time. If it was more prevalent your casual drinker would be out there while intoxicated as well. Then there would be multiple people on the road with impaired reflexes and it would be that much more dangerous.

2 Likes

Because that’s been done repeatedly throughout US Hx and has failed. Prohibition and Whiskey Rebellion of 1793 are the most noted. Legalizing/Decriminalizing or Criminalizing something won’t change it, plus Alcohol consumption is viewed as “ok”, as acceptable in our Culture and many others…but when it became so, operations a motorized vehicle was never on the table.

Further, Mandatory interlock will never be used because it is considered a violation of 4th Amendment. The same applies for “Drug Testing Welfare Recipients.” US Law is primarily reactionary, you have to sin before the law is enacted that limits personal freedom.
Best,
Chandler

1 Like

Saul,
Your argument that A is punished in one way and A.1 is punished in another isn’t valid. Both are trumped by the fact that the action that is taken is illegal. The dangerous thing about your argument is that even though you say, “I’m not saying DUI is ok…” you do seem to be giving tacit permission.
If I knowing allowed my daughter or stepson to use drugs and did not address it as wrong, I have given tacit permission.
We can’t do that.
Chandler

1 Like

In my region here near the GTA in Ontario: 1st offence is 3 day licence suspension and 200 fine. 2nd offence in 5 yrs is 7 day suspension, 200 fine and education program. 3rd offence is 30 day suspension, fine, treatment program and 6 month interlock. This is for .05-.08 warn range. Glad I sobered up when I did.