Making friends!

I think we should have a post where people who want to reach out, help others and make friends all at once can do so! I’ve found having people to talk to is a huge help, and I’d love to meet new friends.
I’ll start: I’m Ally, 25 from England. Struggled with depression and alcoholism for years, though slowly on the climb with both :slight_smile: my passions are animals, music, food and ultimately being creative.
So if anyone else wants to write about themselves and get to know one another, feel free. I’d love to chat and I’m sure many others do too :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hello! I’m Trinity. I’m 26 and I’m living in the US, on the west coast. I spend a lot of my hours working, researching areas in my field, completing classes, cuddling with my dog and making/eating food :joy: I love listening to music. I love reading. I’m learning to love myself. I’m working on my flaws. I’m enjoying each day as it comes!

3 Likes

Hi Ali, I’m Michelle I’m 37 also from England (Gloucester) and I have two boys aged 6 & 7 years old. I like kickboxing, learning new things, home decor and up cycling, I am mainly busy with my children’s social life and clubs, I’ve been sober from alcohol since July 28th, also currently getting over depression with the help of medication, I drive and my recent job was head chef

1 Like

Im Dagmar from Estonia. Im 39.Im alcoholic. Im not drinking enymore but i struggel with depression. I think im never by myself again. Everyday my feelings is down. I dont want to go nowhere and see nobody. I dont understand what happens to me?!
I love cats, i have son, in past i love running, yoga, go to forrest. ( sry my english is bad)

2 Likes

Your english is fine. My advice: start small. Rediscover the love you had for yoga, running, and time spent in nature. Gain peace from this. These are both good and familiar. Then after a time, start to try new things, maybe that involve meeting other people. Take a pottery or painting class, or dance class. Take a martial art, like kick boxing or jujitsu.

There’s a big beautiful world out there, and it’s only missing one thing. It’s missing YOU!

1 Like

I try, but better I stay at home under the blanket in bed. I do not feel like myself anymore - 5 months. I cry a lot, drugs not helping, my weight does not fall. I stay in the one plays and don’t move forward.

I love this idea so much! A huge part of sobriety and staying clean is having new friends and associations which has been very hard for me since my entire life revolved around alcohol and drugs for the past 7 years so when I decided to remove myself from the drugs and alcohol, I also had to remove myself from those people, many of which were family and friends. I was suffering from major depression and anxiety and was self medicating. What a ride. The more I talk to people that I can talk about positive things with the better I feel. The only time I really feel that I can do that is usually at Narcotics Anonymous and even then sometimes it can be kind of a shitshow if you know what I mean. Not that we can’t be sad and talk about how we feel, we’re all human and also part of being sober is learning how to deal with these emotions but not dwell on them. Anyways all introduce myself! My name is Natalie I’m 27, I was born and raised in Houston Texas but now live in Salt Lake City, Utah. I just got married this June to an amazing supportive partner. His family lives in Australia and he is from Australia… I have been there twice in the past year and love it so much I’m working on moving there! I have rediscovered so many passions in life since getting clean and sober. I love to draw, I love music, crafting, hanging out with good influences, spending time with my family, photography, hiking, nature and studying plants. The list is endless! I think this is the perfect place to find like-minded people. Three cheers for sobriety!

1 Like

I like making friends. It’s just getting harder to find a reliable source of parts…

2 Likes

And that’s exactly what you need to change honey! You can’t stay in the same place if you want to feel better. I did the same thing for many months and wondering why I never felt better. It did take a while, but just like the person above me said about starting small and rediscovering old passions that you had. We are all human and I can tell you that you definitely don’t have to go through this alone. Start with small things everyday, even if it’s just one thing that you get done like eat breakfast or make your bed (depending of the level of depression or recovery you are in) you decide what you can handle for the day, but make it happen! Once you wake up in the morning and say today I am going to do “blank” and focus your mind on that one task, like I said even if it’s the only thing you feel like you can do for the day, take it in stride. Eventually once you are up and moving and doing things again, it won’t start to feel like a chore anymore, you can start to add more things on that to-do list and it will keep you in mind and body busy so that you can work through the day without having so much sadness and wanting to use drugs and alcohol as an escape. I am here if you ever need to talk. I struggled with alcoholism and depression for many many years and I don’t know everything and I’m not going to say that I do because every day I am learning more about myself and about my own recovery, but I am here if you feel alone because you never are!

1 Like

I hear you on that one. I swear everywhere I turn, even when I am purposely avoiding bad places and things it seems like they tend to find me. I just think of it as a test of my sobriety and strength, but it would be nice to feel like I have a safe place where people actually care about me as a person and Recovery.

1 Like