Managing anxiety

Last year I quit drinking from February to September, with only one slip in that time after the death of a loved one. In September some crazy stuff happened in my life and I started drinking again, full force. After a few months of binge drinking, I decided to try quitting again, and I’m now 21 day in. Suddenly I’ve been experiencing horrible depression and anxiety. For 15 years I used alcohol to “manage” my mental health, so I get that suddenly not having it would trigger the emotions. But I didn’t go through this at all during my 7 months of sobriety last year. I don’t know why it didn’t happen then, or why it is happening now.

Exercise, yoga, etc have always made my anxiety worse as they are quiet times for my brain to work on overdrive. My depression took all my hobbies from me, and I can’t seem to get back into them, or new ones for that matter. So now what? I know there’s no easy solution… I’m just crying out into the abyss to search for any other options.

5 Likes

These are great questions, and something I struggle with. A lot bubbled to the surface as sobriety set in. Anxiety was a contributor to my drinking, partly from my lapsing on recommended therapy. Thinking back, the guidance I was getting was helping while I stuck to it. This time 'round I’ve gone after it with the help of AA.

There’s plenty you can get to today, like @anon30771928’s always excellent advice. There’s also other help out there so you don’t have to go it alone. Have you talked to your doc about how you’re feeling?

So far I’ve seen seven doctors for both the drinking and the mental health issues. All refused to believe me apart from one, who retired a couple weeks after I first saw him… he shouldn’t have taken me on as a patient to be honest, though I appreciated his trust. All the other docs have said I’m just looking for attention, that I have nothing to be anxious and depressed about, or that if drinking is a problem I shouldn’t do it. When I’d say I need help to stop, they would say just not to drink. Maybe I’ve simply been unlucky with bad docs, but I’m hesitant to try and find another one and be told the same stuff. After the last doc refused to help about five years ago, my drinking got a lot worse. A part of me felt that I needed it to get really bad before it was worth trying for help. I can’t seem to get over that psychological hurdle to trust a doc, even though I know I should try.

Wow. That sounds like pretty horrible doctoring. My own have been more than supportive. Sobriety is an excellent foundation for good health.

Maybe there are other support groups near you that you can join? SMART and AA are two.

2 Likes

I can relate 100%. What has helped for me, as someone else said, is movement, then relaxation. A steady gym regimen followed by a long sauna or steam room session has changed my life. Something about the sauna works wonders for my entire health and well being.

Anxiety is just our bodies call for attention that something isn’t quite right. Treating anxiety like a friend and thanking the warning alarm is the only approach I found that works. In this modern world we are doing so many unnatural things for our minds and bodies.

Instead of office or cubicle and being nice all the time (main cause of my anxiety) I am now a UPS man. I exercise for a living. I suggest you analyze your entire lifestyle. Good luck mate, you got this.

2 Likes

Hi Dee @Menotme23 I’m sorry that you’ve had such a crap experience with the Doctors. I’ve had an anxiety disorder for years and also used to self medicate with alcohol, daily for about twenty years. I am 21 days sober and have not yet experienced the anxiety people refer to as a consequence of sobering up. I am on Citalopram - also called Cipramil (UK). It really helps stabilise anxiety if you can persuade a doctor to give you that. I also can’t do quiet things! I find walking while filling my head with upbeat music or reading can help distract me. I hope you find something that works for you.

@Peace12 it sucks when everyone says “just meditate!”
I was given Citalopram by my first doc and sadly I had an adverse reaction… it gave me hallucinations. But thank you.

I get what you mean about yoga and the brain going into overdrive. This happens to me in any quiet environment so spa weekend or the hairdressers that are meant to relax me really heighten my anxiety.

What works for me. Walking preferably where there are no people, reading Matt Haig Notes on a nervous planet, or reasons to stay Alive. These books have very small chapters so when your brain is flipping all over the place it’s easier to digest.

I guess knowing it will pass eventually, helps to, I was the master of trying to avoiding feelings, but getting drunk merely postponed them. Now when I’m having a bad feeling I name it ,think is it real,do I need to do anything and remind my self the feeling wont last ( may sound weird but it works for me)

hope things start to look up for you, I’m sure they will.

Went through that last year. My regular Dr retired, referred me to another, who left the practice. Found a new Dr and she quit to. By time we settled on another on , I lost my insurance. This last one was great and understanding of my depression and drinking issues, but been unable to see her with out insurance.