Managing depression at work

Any suggestions or strategies to get through it while at work?

1 Like

I go for a walk on my lunch break which helps at that point. If you can take extra breaks, then more walks! In terms of getting things done… I try and just do one thing. Once I get started I find I get into it. Similar to sobriety actually - one minute/hour/day at a time! Deal with what’s in front of you right now.

If you’re struggling, can you talk to someone at work about it? I haven’t had the discussion with my line manager yet as so far, even though I’m definitely not at my full capacity but I’m doing enough for it to be ok.

2 Likes

Thanks. Those are good suggestions. Minute by minute today.

1 Like

Getting prepared for my day helps me a lot, i have my clothes ready, lunch packed and a to do list done the night before so i’m calm in the morning! Sounds basic but it works😁
Also keep out of work dramas, it is easy to get sucked into other peoples crap, so i listen, nod smile and escape😂

4 Likes

Thanks. Its usually a problem when it starts suddenly in the middle of the day. 9 out of 10 days are fine, and Im upbeat. Its just that one. Yeah trying to stay calm from the beginning of the day is a good way to minimize that even more.

I have told my bosses in the past. Just a quick 5 min chat to let them know that while I’m fine 99% of the time, sometimes it will just be a bit more prevelant.
It just helps if they know so they can try and give me a bit of space if i am having a downswing.

2 Likes

Will definitely do that, thanks!

2 Likes