Manic Episodes/ Tendencies?

Im learning that I have mania(manic tendencies) when I lose sleep over a period of a week… is anyone educated on why im taken over with this feeling of mania?

3 Likes

Of course I don’t know you but maybe it’s a story of the chicken and the egg… Loss of sleep could be a first sign of mania. And then lack of sleep could be enforcing your manic symptoms. This is serious stuff friend, it might be better to talk to a medical professional who knows you about this.

5 Likes

I agree with @Mno to seek professional help because mania when diagnosed is a very serious issue. However, I have noticed when I have longer stretches of insomnia that it feels like my brain kicks into a sort of “overdrive” mode that makes it much harder to shut off and get rest, like a terrible cycle of no sleep = brain is alert = can’t shut off = no sleep. I have spoken to my doctor about this and have successfully used guided meditations to relax the body and quiet the brain and sort of break out of that overdrive. It’s a very uncomfortable place to be for me and I can begin to have distorted thinking. So yes, I can relate but please see a doctor. It’s a good idea in early recovery anyway!

Edit: to be clear I was not diagnosed with mania when assessed.

5 Likes

Thanks for your insight!

1 Like

Thank you, that makes so much sense!