Marijuana instead of alcohol

I hope I’m not breaking some rule here. I know everyone is dealing with different addictions. If I’m not breaking a rule, any advice would be great. So I’ve got PTSD, anxiety, and suffer from pretty severe insomnia. I’m starting to really really struggle with this no alcohol thing. I know some people try marijuana when trying to quit alcohol. I’m starting to think about trying this myself. But isn’t this just replacing one addiction for something I’m likely to develop another addiction around? I used to smoke. A couple years after college I finally just decided I had no interest in it and that was it. But during the years that I smoked, I smoked a pretty fair amount. If there is no alcohol in the mix, might my use of marijuana increase even still? Or if I’m really feeling like there is no way I can do this without some kind of aid, is this the lesser of two evils? Ugggh :weary:. I just don’t know.

2 Likes

I think is replacing one addiction with another addiction. I wouldn’t do it find some sports, get a mountain bike and go riding, fishing or something just to keep busy. Good luck hope you don’t go into another addiction.

5 Likes

Hey there! Glad you’re here and looking to be a healthy. I can only speak for me. Alcohol is probably my biggest issue… but then so was cocaine, hallucinogens, ketamine, cigarettes, sugar and many other habits. Marijuana actually falls waaay down on the list of substances I have issues with. I don’t smoke marijuana though, because it, like so many other chemicals, alters my ability to function clearly. I would recommend checking in with a doctor about the anxiety and other mood issues. They would have insight Into what could help you be sober AND be able to deal with what is going on chemically in your head. Alternative therapies like acupuncture and a change in diet can be options that they put out (not only meds). Working with a licensed professional can help you discover how to make sober work for you safely and healthily. Good luck :yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Sorry for being blunt, but replacing alcohol with marijuana is a very dumb idea. You will get addicted to marijuana and you will eventually ruin everything, push everyone away and die.

I know it’s tough, but getting a new addiction to replace your old one isn’t the solution. This app with this community is a great aid.

I hope your addiction doesn’t beat you.

I wish you the best of luck :smiley:

5 Likes

I also think you already answered your own question.

I struggle with various anxieties, too, and long haul no substance or chemical was gonna take that away. Drinking, pot, whatever, I was always just trying to dodge something that was still there when I came to.

It’s been scary but much more rewarding to find other ways to work through the root causes with recovery programs and therapy. Really get after the things I thought were driving me to drink!

Now for some, it can really be debilitating. In those cases it’s probably better to talking to a doctor while being open about any addiction issues. They can help create a supervised plan to get through it.

3 Likes

To set you at ease, you’re not.

There’s nothing wrong with asking a question. I think it’s valuable to be able to ask these questions and have honest discussions about the topic. We just ask people not to promote use of substances here, and exactly for the reason you mentioned. I’m glad you are aware of how other people can be affected. Rock on!

2 Likes

Speaking from my own experience it is a slippery slope. I went over a year and a half sober from alcohol but was using medical cannabis to treat same problems just last year. I ended up relapsing with alcohol before Christmas. Now I am over 5 months clean from all and to be completely honest with you I feel much better than the previous year and a half. I never felt like I was honest at meetings or especially with myself because I was using a mind altering substance. Honesty, and resentments especially were holding back my recovery. Now that I have went through the steps again life has gotten much better and I am not bitter. Sleeping better now as well. Keep at it, you’ll figure out what is right for you.

2 Likes

I’d say you are better off smoking a bit of weed everyday than drinking but that’s just me.

3 Likes

I was an alcoholic and used marijuana as a “hey atleast I’m not drinking” excuse but in reality the weed actually just became my new thing and 3 years later I’m here trying to fix that problem. It has its own set of problems.

6 Likes

Hi there. It looks like you’re new and I just wanted to welcome you and wish you well.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did want give it a little extra thought before I reply. You know when you’re in that really desperate place and you can’t get your thoughts clear? But I do appreciate your reaching out.

1 Like

Maybe try CBD oil to help with the anxiety and PTSD.

1 Like

Long after I retired from the military I learned my PTSD and Insomnia was through the roof. The VA suggested a PTSD for insomnia class that showed me how to get my sleep hours back with out the use of medication. Therapy, mindfulness and my VPap has me sleeping 6-7 hours a night. Also my anxiety chronic pain and PTSD are now manageable. So today I am 13,070 clean and sober with no relapse.

4 Likes

Hi,

Tge World Healtg Organization has stated Addiction is a disease. Meaning you might very welk have that illness. And one off the symptoms is that the substance we use doesn’t matter.
Ass long as we don’t have to be in the here and now.

The withdrawal phase is horor. But stick to it things will get better and a light will shine on you. You will find rewards for tryingntonbe a better you

Good luck!!

4 Likes

Dumb idea. Go to AA I’ve done what you’ve suggested for years. Lead me to be severely addicted. When I got sober the withdrawals were horrible. Also caused me to relapse on alcohol. Weed also eventually made my anxiety depression and anger worse especially when I wasn’t using I used all day every day the habit cost me thousands every year left me broke and going in circles would not reccomend.

2 Likes

I get where you comming from. Temporary fix , that it might be but surely something to really think thrue.
No one will judge you i guess and good thing to put that cards on the table…
Keep us posted and be safe!

2 Likes

What sobriety means to everyone is different. I don’t drink alcohol or do cocaine anymore but I smoke weed from time to time. I moved very carfully around cutting substances in and out. So that I really gained a chance to understand why I reverted to such destructive habits.
From time to time I personally choose to smoke weed to help with similar problems and I’m still proactive about keeping other substances galaxies away. I think doing this depends on your strength and self discipline as a person. I also support finding a hobby. I’m a student, work out enthusiast, have a solid job. You’ll learn there’s so much more to do than be high, you just have to find something you enjoy doing with all your newfound free time.

2 Likes

Hello, I’ll just try to tell a short story…a friend of a friend had a problem with drugs (cocaine, I supose)…his parents, who would have done anything for him, encouraged him to get rid of his addiction and to replace it with whathever they thought is better than that drug…alcohol, in their case. He soon became a heavy drinker and in few years got back to his old habbit, also keeping this “new” one…I’m just telling a story about a person I know…anyway, you’ll find a lot of smart and fair oppinions on this forum! Wish you choose the best choise!

1 Like

First thank you for expressing concern. And for being there. As some may be aware I really don’t have a support system outside of this so I appreciate it. I also appreciate your taking the time to share your personal experiences which could be helpful to others (namely me).

So after reading all you had to say and after having a couple days to think (plus getting to a calmer place) here’s where I am.

Years back, when I stopped smoking marijuana it was because while there were elements of getting high I did enjoy, I genuinely hated the sense of not being in control. Additionally, I have terrible anxiety (as mentioned) and there were some instances where smoking only amplified that. So at present, I have no intentions of taking up smoking again. I am however thinking of using tinctures with no THC. I was thinking CBD/CBN. I have tried those and noticed a definite improvement in my overall mood. No high of course and a lot less of a pull to drink. Though, admittedly the thought does still cross my mind, I have an easier time resisting. It did NOT improve my insomnia. But my sleep issues started in babyhood and they are shocking even to medical professionals in hospital settings. I was a little disappointed I didn’t see any results in that area but not surprised. What are you gonna do?

Anyway that’s where I am. I don’t know if it’s okay or not. I haven’t totally made up my mind. It’s pretty expensive. It’s more effective than my anxiety meds but it’s also twice the price. So there’s also that.

Thanks all very much!!!

1 Like

Oh, I do exercise a couple hours a day 5-6 days a week. That is provided I’m not burying myself in a pit of despair. And those of you who suggested exercise are absolutely correct to do so. It does help a great deal! It’s just so far nothing makes it go away. I guess I want a magic cure to make it all go the hell away forever and ever. :roll_eyes:

1 Like