Martial Artists Past & Present and MMA Fans UNITE!

@Forged and @DarrenUK

Check out this fight. Freaking amazing how Beck survived so many submission attempts

2 Likes

Tony Fergerson could beat Khabib and Conor? I agree with this statement. Heā€™s a proper weirdo but can fight standing or off his back

1 Like

I watched the highlights of this the day after it happened. It was just when I started UNI- absolute warrior. And they say women cannot fight? Theyā€™d both lay anyone out on this forum :ok_hand:

3 Likes

JJ liking my insta post- cannot believe more people donā€™t like MMA on here

1 Like

It can be hard for some people to watch.

Here a video of a 2015 fight. I know one of the fighters.

As we MMA fan wait for the Thunder-clap of two warriors clashing tonight, I pose this question regarding Sambo or BJJ: if you only had time and resources to study one, which would it be and why?

For me itā€™s about having a system where I am effective against one or more attackers, being able to avoid being taken to the ground, but if taken down, being able to end the fight there if facing one, or escape and get back to my feet if facing multiples. Thatā€™s my goal.

In looking at Sambo vs. BJJ, both seek the takedown. Sambo takedowns appear more violent and the takedown transitions right into a submission. Great if I am on offense. Training against the Sambo takedowns would be useful. My exposure to Sambo is nil, but it is strikingly similar to LINE which was what we Marines were trained in.

In looking at BJJ, and my limited exposure to it, the takedown is less complex, less violent, but all the magic happens on the ground. I think itā€™s superior for those situations where one would be caught by surprise and knocked, thrown, or pulled to the ground, and escaping a ground & pound situation, or working from defensive posture to offensive.

Purely an academic exercise for me right now. Nearest Sambo training is 30 miles away from me, ironically at a Gracie Academy.

1 Like

Good stuff. I chose Krav for my base, because itā€™s got a bit of everything, striking, grappling. My reasoning behind wanting to be a better grappler is as I get older, my ability to move and strike will diminish, as will my strength. This is where BJJ will become more vital to my system.

I agree. Another reason why I chose Krav as my base: no sporting component. Escape from a headlock? Groin-strike with one-hand, sweep the other over the attackerā€™s shoulder, fingers to the eyes or nose, rip the head back while posting up. Avoid mouth or chin to avoid a bite. Transition to arm/shoulder control, kicks and knees as you slide down the arm, go for elbow break or wrist break.

As I was training this morning (footwork and precision striking) I remembered one of the biggest reasons I chose Krav as my base, when I was grabbing my gloves and saw my rubber knives: weapons. We train defense against what would be the likely weapons one would face on the street. Knives, bats and sticks, firearms. One thing I realized during our last knife training is a knife comes out of nowhere. A pure grappler is at a huge disadvantage if his preferred fight is a scramble on the ground, lots of vital areas exposed, although a BJJ practitioner would be good at localizing and isolating the hand with the knife, preferably before getting stabbed or cut.

The Krav mantra is: redirect, control, attack, take-away.

Couldnā€™t agree more. I can see a point in the not-so-distant future where just maintaining proficiency in Krav will be taxing, as I age. Hitting anything and getting hit stresses the joints. Not a day goes by that something on me isnā€™t sore. If itā€™s not my hands, itā€™s my shoulders, back, knees.

Up at 4am here in the U.K.- looking forward to to Tony and Pettis too

Only fighter I ever cared for:
Watch ā€œMike Tyson all knockouts collectionā€ on YouTube

Saw Waterson win over Herring. Woke up in time for the main event. Went as expected. Shame what happened afterwards. Khabib has officially become a ā€œbad guyā€ champion. Every defense going forward, there will be two types of fan: those who support Khabib, and those who want to see him defeated.

Another reason why I prefer watching womanā€™s mma: much better sportsmanship.

Letā€™s get in the time-machine and remember when MMA was mixing pure style against pure style.

Not sure if this is the proper thread to request suggestionsā€¦ Iā€™m looking for a ā€œshortā€ YouTube video on proper form for some basic high kicksā€¦ specifically the side kick. Not even sure if thatā€™s the technical name for it. Iā€™m trying to strength my hip area.

Thanks!

Go to YouTube and type ā€œSensei Ando Kickā€. Like 4-5 short videos on round, side, front, and turning kicks.

1 Like

For @MandiH
https://youtu.be/KfJh422ZDfk

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, loved it! Haha it reminded me also how much I love GSP and hated Matt Serra lol.

1 Like

No gi BJJ here with some striking

1 Like