Martial arts

Hey guys. So I’m over a year into my sobriety and I’m really trying to find community, friendships and a healthy outlet. It’s tricky working full time and being a mum, I’ve just been pushing through without these things and I’m ready to reach out.
I practiced karate for a few years in my early 20s and childhood. I love the discipline and family martial arts brings. But I’ve got a bit of a dodgy knee from an injury at work a few years ago, and I can’t see myself being able to throw kicks like that anymore.
I’m considering Brazilian ju-jitsu, it looks like a really fun martial arts and less intensive on the kicking and being punched in the face lol.
But I am a little bit hesitant being a female and also in my early 30’s. Any advice from someone who practices bjj or martial arts?
I feel like it would be a great outlet.

7 Likes

I think @Yoda-Stevie is an instructor now and I think @Frank68 may also be in martial arts.

4 Likes

Thanks Dan :blush:

I stared BJJ over a year ago iam.a bit slack going to classes but i do love it when i attend i started when i was 41 it can be hard at times but consistency is the best way to progress so clubs have womans only open mats but the 2 gyms ive been to have been very welcoming , just do some research and try a few clubs out when it feels right you will know

3 Likes

Oh that’s great to hear you started later. I’m worried it’s too late to pick up a new sport :joy:
My daughter is going to do some trial classes, she’s 9. And I think the club we are looking at has some woman’s only classes too, so that’s a positive. Although it does look like a male dominant sport.

1 Like

I highly recommend martial arts, as my journey from white to blackbelt, student to instructor has been central to my sobriety. Martial arts literally saved my life.

BJJ is a fantastic art, and I do train in it semi-regularly as my primary art is Krav Maga. I also train in Muay Thai and traditional western boxing

BJJ can be hard on the knees and requires a great deal of ankle, knee, and hip flexibility. However, all off the training partners I’ve had are very respectful of each others injuries and limitations. Just wear a flexible brace and communicate with your partner and the danger will be limited. Also consider boxing fitness classes. These involve training like a boxer, Footwork drills, hitting bags and pads, but don’t involve live sparring.

I encourage you to try several. Most schools offer a free class or two, some even a week before you have to commit.

3 Likes

Hi!

I own a martial school. Its mainly Tae Kwon Do but i add some other stuff as well. Unfortunately I don’t have experience with bjj.

I have students of varying ages and ability levels. I modify things as needed for individual students who need it. For example you have a knee issue. I wouldn’t have you use that leg very much.

My advice would be first check with your doctor and second talk with the instructors at the schools and let them know of your concerns and any limitations that you may have. Good schools will let you know if you would be a fit for their curriculum.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. I think I will trial in a few places and see how I fit. I’ve tried boxing exercise classes, I do enjoy them. But I don’t enjoy the groups, it doesn’t feel as welcoming the same way martial art classes and clubs do.
I also want the goals and ability to strive towards goals. I think it will really help me at this point in my life again.
I will watch and join some trial classes and look into a knee strap for support. My knee meniscus was sprained pretty badly a few years back, so it’s the weight bearing pivoting motions like kicking, and repetitive motions like running that worry me the most. But I think I’d really have to be mindful no matter what.
I’ll keep you posted!

1 Like

Hey, thanks for your reply Frank. I will definitely have a talk with the instructors when I’m looking for the right club. Bjj might not be the right fit with my knee, or we might be able to work with it. It’s a pretty common body part that people injure. I’m hoping I can still work around it and join a club! I was worried I’m too old to join and start but it sounds like it’s not just for kids to start :blush:

2 Likes