Massive bonus to sobriety!

Hi all! I have just booked in to give blood :drop_of_blood: :syringe: !:hugs::hugs: I’m wanting to be a regular plasma donor in order to help other people. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for many years but I was always to ‘busy’ to…or more likely I was conscious that I always had booze in my system so couldn’t. I finally did it! I booked myself in for a blood donation first and then if that all goes ok I can donate plasma every two weeks. I can not wait!!! Sobriety has allowed me to do this and I’m so grateful to be here with over 880 days sober. I could not do this without this forum! Thank you TS family :pray:t2::two_hearts: just wanted to share yet another plus to kicking booze to the kerb :raised_hands:t2: Love to you all :two_hearts::two_hearts:

26 Likes

This reminded me that I got to donate blood in my early months of sobriety. It felt really good to do so. It’s flipping amazing all of the added bonus things we can do and achieve with sobriety. Thanks for posting this!

1 Like

Thanks Lee :relaxed: Realising all of the benefits to sobriety is like waking up for the first time in a long time. Most days I am discovering something new about myself now that I’m sober. Some days are hard but the better days are starting to way out weigh the bad. :pray:t2::two_hearts:

Congratulations!! And that is great that you booked your appointment. I give fairly regularly…but not every two weeks! Now THAT is a commitment.

1 Like

Thanks :relaxed: I’ll give as much as I can, I’m thrilled that I’m able to now :dancer::dancer::two_hearts:

1 Like

Well done Sarah! That is a very noble and selfless act-to give up something of yourself that is so precious!:heart: Giving plasma is next level-a real commitment! :+1:

I used to donate blood occasionally in my nurse training days, over 30 years ago now.
TBH, a bunch of us young,dumb and broke student nurses would go of an evening just so we could get a free dinner!

Not sure what you get afterwards now, but back then, we were served unlimited party pies, sausage rolls and a milkshake! Well worth it!

I probably donated about 8-10 times all up, and like you, was too busy with my drinking career in the more recent years, to care about much else.

It makes me sad to think that l gave up on it. One of my sisters donated both blood and plasma until about 5 years ago, when she was diagnosed with cancer.
She donated over 75 times before she got sick! :+1:

On another note, l am sad that the Organ Registry probably won’t accept my vital organs if l die prematurely, because of my history.

1 Like

Hi Andy, thank you :relaxed:. After you donate blood here I think you get a biscuit and a cup of tea…(very British lol). It’s something I’ve always wanted to do and I’m really chuffed I’ve got on with it now that I’m sober. Your sister sounds like a legend!! 75 times is a massive achievement, I hope I can give that much. How is your sister, if you don’t mind me asking? :pray:t2::two_hearts:

Thanks for your reply,Sarah! :heart: My sister IS a legend!! She would still be donating blood products if they would let her! She now donates her TIME,to various family members and friends. She wants to become a ‘cuddle mum’ in the Special Care Nursery at the hospital where she had most of her Cancer treatment, but because of Covid-19, these types of voluntary positions have been temporarily suspended.She is officially free of cancer, and is now guiding my S.I.L thru her chemo journey for Breast Ca.

1 Like

She sounds like an amazing lady. Cuddle mom sounds fantastic! Hopefully covid will bugger off soo and she’ll be able to have lots and lots of cuddles. God bless you and your family my friend :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your lovely reply! :heart:

Same to you and your family :kissing_heart:

1 Like