Maybe im just not meant to be clean

Everytime i get close to a month i just get pulled back down. I don’t even know what to do. Ive tried to keep myself from situations that make me want to do it but it manages to get me there anyways.

3 Likes

I am only on day 12 and have had the same thoughts when I’ve tried doing this before so I don’t know if I am the best person to respond to this. However I highly doubt we are meant to live in suffering and that’s what this is, a constant suffering. The fact you are here and trying to get better says loads about your conviction. Believe in yourself, you’ve got this!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Have you tried AA? How about therapy?

About 2 months into my sobriety…i said to myself, “drinking was the only thing I was good at”. At the time I really meant it…looking back I cant believe i let myself think that. That is 100% your addiction talking to you.

If everytime you get to a month you relapse, then something needs to change. We humans are creatures of habit. What is going on then, probably a similarity amongst it all.

I wrote, everytime I had a craving, and i found patterns. Patterns I could avoid. If nothing changes, then nothing changes. Are you in a program? It will help alot, it will change your life.

5 Likes

Its really easy to throw away continuous days sober… I’m really good at it.

It defies all logic! for me right, now I’m focusing on even though I kept failing on long term. I keep trying for a reason. It’s a problem in my life that could easily kill me.

I got ahold of what was supposed to be meth. It was different I don’t know wtf it was but its was potent and I feel lucky to be alive. The synthetic drugs out there are dangerous. They are showing up everywhere.

It scared me! so fear is on my side. I’m scared to relapse again! But my thinking doesn’t like me to remember that. It likes to remeber the first time when it was good! It’s a lie!

1 Like

Ive been to NA meeting for a friend and hearing people let stuff out made me want to go but i just turned 17 and i have no way to meetings. I don’t talk to my family about it so idk

I have no way to meetings or anything like that because i just turned 17 and lost my job because of this. I don’t talk to family so they cant really do much about it. But i really appriciate this. I feel like i could try harder to stay clean and avoid the thing’s that make me want to do it

1 Like

I bet your family would be supportive. And you have this. I wish I could have gotten clean at your age. You have an amazing opportunity. I did have long term sobriety. It was really good. And so worth the battle. I’ve got 61 days today… I’m gonna keep on fighting!

Keep fighting!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! You got this too :smiley:

1 Like

Of course you’re meant to be clean! You want to be and you can, that’s what’s important.

Avoiding every situation like this might not be possible. We can’t always predict what’s going to happen or how we’ll feel about it. I still find myself in situations that revive the temptation to self harm, and they are normal life events, I just struggle to handle my emotions around them. There’s no avoiding the temptation for me.

However, learning to get by and get through without caving no matter what, is possible. It can be learned, and it can be applied to any situation, so your circumstances are no longer in control of your behaviour. Learning to say “no” is less brittle than relying on avoidance. I started taking this approach to self harm a bit over a year ago, and haven’t had to self harm since. I’m newer to figuring out how to do the same with alcohol, but that’s starting to come too, and the learning I’ve been doing for alcohol addiction has really enriched dealing with self harm. Most of the lessons cross over.

Another point I’d like to make: Stopping is one thing. Recovery is another. I know now that I need both. For me, recovery is learning how to be the new person I want to be; a person who doesn’t want to use, and a person I can only become if I don’t use. I’m still learning how to do this, but let me tell you, it’s way better than just white-knuckling it! It’s too bad it’s hard to get to a meeting, AA taught me a lot about this. Therapy helped too… is this something you can do? Once I found the right person to work with, it made such a difference. The skills I learned from it are skills I can use anywhere, any time.

I’m really happy you’re here trying with us, by the way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @Denney! Hope your doing awesome! I’ve been working on my recovery. Coming here. Thinking about my thinking. Really thinking about how my thinking keeps justifying my decisions to relapse or not use today.

I feel like I have made some progress and that gives me a natural high! I don’t want to use right now!
I’ve been thinking about all the good things I don’t participate in when I’m high or drunk. I’m setting goals that are attainable. And it feels good planning something positive instead of my next relapse!

I actually feel good all natural right now. I haven’t felt that for a while! I like it!

4 Likes

Im glad!! You got this!!

1 Like

Hi @Denney I always thought that I could only make it 3 or 4 days before I drank again. I had to change my mindset. Believe in yourself. You can do this. Have you tried
Watching videos on sobriety
Read books about it
Listening to podcast
Not sure if your trying to quit drinking but there is AA online if you want to try that.
I believe in you
I wish I would have realized I had a problem at your age

1 Like

Ive found reading and going on walks helps
But no its self harm that is my problem
I have been to NA meetings for a friends and letting stuff out helped

1 Like

Glad you found it helpful. Can you go with that friend again? There are lots of people here struggling and winning with self harm. Glad your here

1 Like

I’d advise against the lone wolf approach.

Go here:

https://www.aadirectory.org/

Call the number, tell them where you live and that you need a ride to a meeting.

They’ll hook you up.

1 Like

She doesn’t go to meetings much but i can ask if we can go again

I was a daily drinker for 9ver 20 years i have been sober over 700 days with the help of meetings and lots of other stuff.

2 Likes

Without the fellowship of AA and working with a sponsor there’s no way I would be able to stay sober today that is the only advice I can give you is Listen to others’ advice maybe not mine but someone you trust just don’t give up that’s the key once you fully surrendered yourself You’ll be able

2 Likes