Maybe this time it sticks

I decided last night I’ve had enough with alcohol. I’ve been an everyday drinker for 7 years, with a few sober stints that never lasted more than a month. I’ve always hid hard alcohol from my girlfriend, hidden in cupboards under the sink, etc. Any shakes that were obvious were always blamed on a weakness from food or whatever excuse worked for me. The worst part for me was not being truthful about the extent of my addiction with her.

I’ve now lost 2 jobs for time missed because I was terrified of dealing with withdrawal and having my embarrassing addiction out in the open. Everybody look at the sweaty, red faced, shaky guy!

I’ve never been so scared for change my whole life. It’s now been 6 hours and ive never felt like this on my life. I am at least blessed to have a sister in nursing to consult with about symptoms.

I just wish i would have found this page so much sooner.
Best of luck to all those wanting to change. I hope this is the time i quit for good.

Thanks for reading.

16 Likes

I haven’t lost a job yet, but there have been plenty of times where my work suffered, I missed important meetings, I was drunk at work, forgetting whole phone conversations, etc. Just absolutely embarassing. Glad you found us and you’re ready to get serious. I was terrified once I made the decision, but so determined! Life is so much better once the fog clears.

2 Likes

Welcome @Jasonmac232. We can relate. Just know that you never have to feel this way again and be consumed by the obsession. I won’t lie, it takes work and it will be uncomfortable at first. You are strong and have survived everything you’ve been through so far. On the other side of it, it feels amazing. If you have the shakes, drink orange juice to keep your blood sugar up.

1 Like

We’ve all been the bro. And we are all here for you. You are being honest with yourself and that’s a hard thing to do at first. So big congrats on that and on 6 hours! Seriously, those first couple hours are tough.

Stay strong man. Find a meeting and go to it😉

Welcome @Jasonmac232, I’m glad you joined us. While I didn’t lose a job over it, my work definitely suffered and I was absent many days due to hangovers and withdrawals. I’ve let countless employers and coworkers down over the years.

You will find lots of people who are here to support you in this journey. And just know, your story and what you share helps other people stay sober too!

Stay strong and stay connected!

Hi @Jasonmac232. Welcome.:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Hiding alcohol…boy can I relate. I can’t believe how long I did that believing it was normal and what everyone does!! Sure, everyone lies about how much they drink. What an idiot I was. :roll_eyes:

We’re so glad you’re here. There is strength in numbers.

:sparkling_heart:

You got this!

Welcome @Jasonmac232. I’m also an alcohol hider. Nothing is more embarrassing than someone else finding those bottles. I’ve not lost a job due to drinking but, drinking totally contributed to me being placed on a performance plan. I’ve been drunk and drinking at work countless times. It’s a wonder I was never fired. This is a great community and you’ll be glad you found us - I sure was!

1 Like

4 days sober! It may have been the longest 4 days of my life, but a small mountain that I now have conquered. On to the next one!

2 Likes

Welcome Jason, only month ahead of you so I know how you’re feeling right now, stay strong and keep climbing those mountains, they get smaller as you progress and your life will be so much better.

Start planning how you’re going to tackle each day and take it a day at a time. @Oliverjava has some great replacement suggestions if you look at her posts.

We’re all here to help. I’d recommend a support group too if you are willing as quitting after 7 years is a big step.

Congratulations on your progress. Stay strong and stay sober.

1 Like

I wish you the best, i am glad you’re here and I’m glad you have support at home. It won’t be easy but it’ll be worth it, right? Be kind to yourself.

1 Like

I know how you feel if you need to talk I always can I need to too

1 Like

This post made me so happy! To moving mountains!

1 Like