Medical Marijuana Program has helped me stay sober. Your opinions? (Trigger warning for weed)

Hi THC/CBD addict here.

I have the conviction addiction is a disease.
If I’d say I’m going to drink to refrain from smoking.
Or imma do meth cause I don’t want to smoke anymore.

How would you reply?

That’s my opinion.

Addiction is part gen part underlying issues work through the issues and you might achieve sobriety.

:pray:t2: Not judging but trying to explain another view of sobriety.

5 Likes

For you, medically prescribed marijuana would affect YOUR sobriety. It does not affect MY sobriety. I think that is an important distinction.

As always, we need to be honest with ourselves and whether we are abusing a substance or not.

4 Likes

CBD capsules has helped me with anxiety, but I have not found the effects of THC in oil or smoke to be pleasing or comforting- I might be one of the unlucky ones that way.

3 Likes

Being honest with ourselves is so important to recovery. If we are hiding behind a substance, self medicating an undiagnosed issue and/or abusing a valid prescription…we aren’t being honest in recovery.

Allowing all of us to follow the path that works for our individual issues is important to me. Not everyone shares the same issues, so one size does not fit all.

Shaming people who are using medications as prescribed by their doctor is not helpful for anyone. Nor is promoting marijuana use to people who have weed abuse issues.

Edited to add that I wasn’t implying anyone in this thread was shaming MM users.

3 Likes

We differ in opinion on that matter :slight_smile:

And that is also just fine don’t get me wrong.
The post asked for opinions I gave mine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Marijuana ruins my life, I become an addict and use it till it runs out similar to alcohol. For me it doesn’t cause the same wild, violent, unmanagability that alcohol does. It slowly saps my time and ambition to make anything out of my life. I wake up out of a haze and realize I have wasted 6 months watching movies, getting fat, and not socializing. It makes me extremely depressed and comfortable lying around in my own , metaphorical, shit.
Marijuana is sometimes called the poor man’s anti-depressant because it effects the serotonin system, unlike alcohol and opioids which hit the dopamine system. That’s why you feel “chill” after the initial high. If you have any trouble with depression or are on SSRIs it can fuck with you pretty bad.
If you choose to take marijuana please be careful, it is not a health food. It is a powerful psychoactive drug that is not for everyone. There have been links to it exacerbating mental illnesses like schizophrenia.
There is a big correlation between substance use disorders and mental illness, so please keep this in mind before you go promoting a drug like this.

4 Likes

Then you definitely don’t want to get medical marijuana. Do what works for you and your sobriety and recovery. :heart:

1 Like

I said I wouldn’t comment again but I got a reply so I wanted to follow up with it… I thought a few times today while busy working and doing other tasks about deleting this app… I feel like by trying to be honest and open up on here that I have somehow opened a can of worms that I really didn’t mean to… I thought it was a post in the current feed… From my perspective I didn’t see it as no different than other people on here asking about some meds that I had been ordered that almost killed me once… I know it didn’t help me but I’ve got hope that it might still them… Since I honestly don’t know what my DOC is (because I have no desire to use any drugs or to even drink any alcohol anymore) I didn’t get that at first… @SassyRocks you helped me to understand that through your post… No wonder you are respected in this community… Thank you so much!!! I’m also gonna cool it down with my higher power… If he needs somebody to know something he knows where to find them… Some things are best left unsaid or sealed between them and the HP that they believe in… :neutral_face: I was reading just yesterday about somebody on here walking out of an AA meeting because my creator was meantioned… My first thought was don’t let that run you out… What I know from my experience is in early recovery people are irritated to the max to put it lightly… My thoughts today are why on earth would we??? Why even mention it if it makes just one living breathing human being turn and leave a meeting that could have had the tools that this person needed to save their life… This is something that I can very easily get carried away with without even catching on that I’m doing it… I’m gonna challenge myself to stick around and just do better… I’m gonna shut my mouth where needed and pay attention to this like my mama is teaching me a lesson on survival… Thank each and every one of you for your input… :blush:

2 Likes

That’s some solid reflection there!! Thanks for sharing and sticking around. :grinning: Together we are stronger.

I follow She Recovers on FB and they had this post today, which really resonates with me and seems very appropriate today…

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"At SHE RECOVERS we truly believe we have to be supported to find and follow individualized pathways and patchworks of recovery. So much so, it is one of the core intentions and guiding principles this movement is built on.

We believe in leading by example. Sharing our experience and what has worked FOR US. We also deeply acknowledge, this may not ring true for others. And that is OK! If we truly want to make change, make our voices matter, and smash the stigma of addiction and recovery without burning out - we have to come together. This doesn’t mean we have to agree (on anything!). It just means we have a duty to remove barriers to recovery - judgement and shame around how we and others heal - are two of the more pervasive barriers to recovery today. People are dying because of these things.

We encourage you, whomever is reading this, to be diligent about YOUR recovery path and supporting others on theirs. Listen to the voices that resonate. Read books, and follow influential people on social media who have what you want and say what you long to hear. Explore treatment modalities, online programs, events and resources. Participate in private Facebook Communities, like SHE RECOVERS Together to find connection and learn from others.

Tommy (in the video below) reminds us there are universal truths, energies that exist within all teachings - may we continue to put our energy there."

The Great Debate Over 12 Step Programs

1 Like

I use cannabis medicinally too. I use it for chronic pain. Edibles especially. I get almost the same relief that an oxy gives me.

Edibles make me sleepy. I only use them onshore. When my hands are throbbing and I would lay there and suffer all night. Im able to rest.

I found that it helps me with motion sickness on the ocean. Cbd only because im working and i need to be on my A game.

I use it for ptsd, and anxiety. Im very cautious about how I use it. I dont “checkout” to avoid the feelings. It calms me enough to process my feelings without impending doom. A 1to1 cbd/thc ratio helps.

I use cbd and thca mostly. They arent pshychoactive. It doesnt get me high.

If I do use thch.( thca turns into thch when you heat it above 120 degrees farenheit.) I use cbd with it first. Cbd blocks the h molecule from connecting to the the brains recepters. Not all of them, but most of them inhibiting the psychoactive effect.

If someone was to get too high on thch. Take some cbd to bring you down.

Then there is cbg which exists in very small amounts in certain strains! They are still dicovering its benifits. Breeders are working on developing cbg strains just as they did with cbd.

Terpenes have many medicinal qualities too.

Cannabis doesnt help me with staying off alcohol. It doesn’t make it any harder either.

I havent had to use any cannabis in days because im not in chronic pain. My anxiety has been low, and I’m feeling relly good not drinking.

I used a little on the ocean for motion sickness. I didnt get high.

I have some. I know its there but i dont need it medically today so i have zero desire to use it.

If i had a 6 pack of beer in the fridge, id be obsessing over it. Id have to dump it, or consume it.

I did the 100 percent clean and sober thing for 9.5 years. No mind altering substances. I didnt know the medical benefits of cannabis. My nine and one half years of sobriety started in 2002 so the propaganda about cannabis being the devil was still strong!

I attended a marijuana anonymous meeting that a friend I met in AA took me. I loved that meeting. I went almost every Monday for two years. I got to see people with a marijuana addiction. It does happen, and I empathize.

Cannabis effects everyone differently.

I dont share about it in AA meetings. Im sure some people would judge me and discredit my sobriety. Om ok with that. Drinking is the devil for me.

I am pro cannabis. Its an amazing plant!

4 Likes

Absolutely inspiring and amazing!!! Added to my watch list for tonight… :coffee::older_woman::tv: Thanks again!

1 Like

You’ve done your research… :100:

2 Likes

Well done on finding what works for you. I was amazed to learn how well CBD works to counteract any high feelings when using MM…as well as the role of terpenes.

1 Like

They are a great community. If you are on FB, I suggest following them.

I am new to AA and sobriety from alcohol. Its only been 36 days for me. I go to meetings and I’m starting to read. I feel that I am serious about being alcohol free. I refuse to lie to myself though. I have used indica gummies 3 times so far. These have been times when it was either that or get in my car and head to the liquor store. Its not the same but it calmed me enough to stop me. I struggle with the question of whether or not I’m “cheating”. I dont feel weed makes my life unmanageable or that I’m powerless over it. I can see where someone could argue that I’m using something that alters my mind. For me, I will keep it on board. If it’s a once in awhile to keep on the wagon I’m all for it. I’d rather this than benzos. If it becomes an issue that heads toward unmanageable i will continue to be honest with myself and move away from it.

Saying that you are using marijuana as a substitute to remain alcohol free if you are not prescribed it is only fooling your own self if you start to use it more often…