Memeing. Not the memes. The act of memeing

Memeing
The act of saying something completely inane and dumb but in a way that makes it sound as if you’re quite serious about it whether you are or are not.
“Urban dictionary.”

The memes apps has help in in my recovery. It’s so strange. When @JasonFisher said the memes were important to his recovery I didn’t understand it at all. I been hitting the memes kind of hard since we got the 2 separated now.

I’ve learned I’m a pretty sensitive guy who gets offended easy. And I’m the type that never wants to offend people so I keep it in and that isn’t good. And I always shy away from confrontation.

Politics today really sucks. I know…It always sucked!! But I wasn’t paying attention before. My bad. Since the election 2016 I been drinking more than ever up until 1/2/2020 That’s on me too. Having a safe space for the political memes has taught me a lot in just a couple of days. I can have an outlet to post my shit and not have to listen to anyone argue with me or be offended. I don’t argue very well. If you are offended maybe you shouldn’t be on the political meme page. I see other peoples point of view and try not to be offended. It’s working. If I don’t want to be offended then I don’t go on the political meme thread. But I’m on it and I’m learning not to be offended. And most importantly I think I’m getting rid of some hate. I don’t agree with a lot of posts making fun of my side but I’m not going to hate (or work on not hating) because someone has a different opinion. (Even though it’s wrong :crazy_face: :joy: ). I’m really sic and tired of all the hate.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. The courage to change the things I can. (I can only change myself God willing) and the wisdom to know the difference.

Anyway. I think this is helping in my recovery and I am going to continue to work on myself.

I been thinking all day about putting something out here about memeing and where to put it and maybe it’s corny and I didn’t want to start a bunch of shit.

Thanks @SassyRocks for splitting up the meme thread.

Let’s love and accept instead of hate and keep it inside us until it blows up.
Love you guys
:pray::heart:

7 Likes

Speaking as someone who’s not super interested in political memes at all -

I personally have just not been going on the political memes thread, and it’s working for me. I like that I can choose not to go there.

And I know many many people here who love the memes thread (or threads). I say, more power to you. There’s a Foodies thread, there’s a Crocheting thread - why shouldn’t there be a dedicated Political Memes thread?

I keep out of there. But if it’s a space that works for you, I’m happy it does. Take care :innocent:

4 Likes

Foodies thread :hugs: I’m going to have to check that one out. Thanks.

1 Like

Ive always enjoyed memes, but not at the same level I do now. Participating here has brought my love of memes to a whole new level.

I relaped after 9.5 years and spent eight years trying to make my decision to start drinking work again.

During my long term sobriety, I was very active in AA, and I’ve heard just about everything recovery based that there is to hear, and practiced most of it.

My inner alcoholic twisted my perception so much while I was drinking that I wouldnt allow myself to reconnect with AA.

I bashed AA a little when I first found this place. Of course that didnt get recieved with open arms, and I didnt want to alienate myself to much from the only support I was allowing myself to recieve.

So I was drawn to the memes thread. Mentally, i was still a wreck, and I created waves in there at first too.

But I managed to keep myself from completely alienating myself from there too.

That was when I began to try and make a conscious effort not to offend people.

The frequent posters had a similar, dark sense of humor, and most of the memes made me laugh. That felt good.

My social media, mostly facebook has friends who share memes. So I started looking for memes to share, and became a part of the group.

I’d be headed in from a fishing trip and there would be 30 or 40 new memes to laugh at. And I could throw some down pretty quick.

On the boat its hard to text words because my hands are damp and cold, but I could share memes easily.

I would always browse other threads. That gave me the strength to not drink when I got to shore. That was HUGE!

My schedule prevented me from going to meetings and I wasnt as open to going to them as I am now. So the forum became my support.

And because of COVID. It has remained 95% of my support.

Now I am a full blown memeaholic, but it has been positive. I look forward to sharing memes I find here. It keeps me coming here frequently.

And I have made geniune friendships here with people who are trying to better themselves like me.

I trade memes with my kids. My boss, pretty much everyone I interact with frequently. I laugh alot. Finding them and sharing them.

I make them occasionally now too, which is fun and addicting.

If you would have told me that memes would help me stay sober when I was trying to get sober, I never would have believed it.

This week has been awesome, with the two threads going. Im cleaning up the wreakage of my past, and its not always very comfortable. Memes get me out of my head. Its a positive distraction.

I needed it this week more than ever!

5 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes