Mental health app?

Our oldest daughter 27 has asperger’s (autism) as well as mental health issues. I was just wondering if anyone uses an app similar to this one? I love to connect with others about how they talk with their family member with mental health issues. Thanks

1 Like

I have an 18 year old son who’s autistic. :jigsaw:

Sorry, guess that didn’t answer the question… No. I don’t use nor know of any apps… Do you mean for yourself or for your daughter to use?

If there’s a community like this focused on mental health, I’d be very interested. I don’t know of any myself though.

For me. Since our daughter became an adult the services are no longer available and it makes it very difficuly to find support. She took herself off the meds and then her thrapist moved out of state and things have been rough these last few years. Always walking on egg shells. Hmm guess ill keep asking. If ever you would like to talk I’m here. :blush: 18 was a tough age for us.

1 Like

Thanks. I was hopeful because so many of us struggle witb mental health issues. If you hear of one please let me know. And ill everyine know if i find one.

1 Like

As I am here if you’d like to talk! :grinning:

Our son is 99% non-verbal and very much a homebody; all he wants to do is play his damn video games. Thankfully, he is the easiest person to get along with and everyone loves him. He’s never had a meltdown (externally/in public); to spare you the long list of things he doesn’t do, he’s a good boy. Biggest problems are getting him to eat appropriately, do his school work (he feels he shouldn’t have to because it’s pointless and he knows more than the teachers) and external communication.

We were just very recently granted guardianship over him because he isn’t capable of advocating for himself and because he turned 18, that meant we couldn’t legally do anything for him, so we went the legal guardian route. Is that something you could do for your daughter? What kind of services do you have near you for support? Where do you live?

Maybe also something you would like to take to a Message instead of a community post…? If so, please feel free to shoot me a Message. If not, here is just fine too. :blush:

I may be newer to the ASD game (mines just 18; yours is 27) but I have done more research and read more studies than probably most doctors “practicing” special needs medicine. :trumpet: (that’s me tooting my own horn…) :rofl:

1 Like

Our daughter feels she is smarter than most. She used to drive us nuts correcting our spelling or wording. Also has a fantastic memory that works both to her advantage and against ours sometimes lol
We only have girls and they dont tend to play video games. Not sure how to help with that.

Cant be her guardian she lives with her boyfriend and 11month old daughter. Works full time but can’t keep a job for more than a year or 2.
She has a hard time with socializing with others. She is black and white. A serious rule follower. And her anxiety is over the top. She also explodes in anger never apologizes and hours later everything is as usual. Like she never lost her shit. Hence the need for a mental health app.
All of this sounds fabulous but she cant take care of simple tasks like dentist appt. Hasnt been since she left home 7 years ago. Cant get a hold of her student loan debts. Blows off jury duty. If things are not affecting her here and now she lets it go. Then shit gets crazy and she wants help to fix it. And fix it on her terms. Tons more stuff
It helps to just vent and know we’re not alone. Thank you again

I find it so strange that we have a 27yr old daughter with aspergers and are still struggling to find support. Thank you for the like. I always forget about you tube. :thinking:

Yeah that’s tough! I’m sorry. Probably really stressful. It’s good that she’s able to be out on her own, per se; doesn’t her boyfriend help try and keep her focused? I know my son needs constant reminder to do anything that’s “outside” his routine.
Why did she take herself off her medication? She didn’t like how she felt on it or she’s just not taking it because she doesn’t want to or remember to? Does she have anything to help cope with her anxiety outside of medication? Paperclips, taggies, fidget spinner, etc.?
There’s a great book written by an amazing man named Aaron Likens called Finding Kansas: Living and Decoding Asperger’s Syndrome. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting this young man and talking with him; give it a read. You may find answers to many of your questions there.

Venting is one of the best things we can do. You’re not alone. We the many; different, not less.

I wiil get that book today after work. Thank you.
She stops taking her meds randomly. she insist she doesnt have autism or anxiety.
Unfortunately her boyfriend also has aspergers/autism. They are doing fairly well but cant really communicate their problems/needs to each other. Creates a lot of tension and arguments.
Ive given up on reminders to shower and brush/cut her hair. I figure that eventually someone will tell her at work. She is at a new job for two weeks and already taken 3 days off. But i cant say anything because she goes into a rage. I was trying to suggest cbd oil for her anxiety but not sure how to go a out it. Lol
She does journal do yoga and meditate. Or says she does anyway.
Thank you so much for all the advice. I felt alone until today and i work as a job coach for adults with special needs and have a bachelors in human services.

Thanks again.
I checked out that you tube. I still like it it gave me some insite as to how she may feel.
I still have guilt about not finding out she had autism until she was off to college. I tried for years to find out what was unique about her. Once we got the internet i googled her traits and bam! Aspergers.
Looking back it was like sending a 12 year old off to find her way in a world she really didnt understand. Ultimately the educational part was fine for her but she couldnt socialize and fit in anywhere. She ended up trying to commit suicide and quit her second year.
I really wish there were better supports for parents “raising” adults. Thank you again you guys are wonderful :two_hearts:

1 Like

Blowing off jury duty will not lead to any punishment. Its not certified mail so they can not prove you recieved it. Ive blown off jury duty a few times… So dont stress of that… I have no warrants or fines from not going. I just went to court last month.

1 Like

Thank you donnie that makes me feel better. One less thing to stress over lol

Yes she has been formally diagnosed but always throught it was wrong. I dont teally care what you name it. I just need to deal with her extreme emotions. We will figure it out eventually. Lol

1 Like