Methods Used To Get It Done Now!?

How folks! How do you snap out of the comfort zone and start getting busy when your brain suggest you lie down all day viewing screens, when you have at least 5 things that you need to be doing to succeed in life?

I’m a part-time delivery driver, and a full-time Time Waster at Procrastination Inc. This is holding me back and I’ve been a slave to it for as long as I’ve been allowed to do less in life.

What are some things you guys do in the moment when you begin to fall off track, or get stuck in the mental rut?

7 Likes

Honestly I’m also a full time employee of Time Wasters Inc.

I also struggle as well, I learned j need to keep a schedule a daily planner if you will, and try to keep on pace with it j use it as a checklist, so I make sure I get things done. But I also do fuck off time as well, I just learned that I need to stay disciplined

3 Likes

Yes, and I know that to be true. I know that all I have to do to begin making progress, is write a schedule and try my best to stick to it but cotdamn it’s like my brain thinks that organized discipline is guaranteed death. We have this hardwiring that protects us from discomfort, sounds like we’re both caught in it’s grip. I’m not sure of you’re getting busy today, but let’s get one goal established at least!!

2 Likes

The first step is all mental.

When you accept mediocracy, your behavior, your attitude and your motivation will align.

Reject mediocracy! Refuse to be mediocre! Don’t just say, believe it!

Visualize what a successful you looks like.

Success means different things to different people. What does it mean for you? Is it money? is it your career? is it material things? Is it social status?

Once you define what your success is, visualize yourself achieving it.

Start small: Set small attainable goals, every day!

What are 3 things you want to accomplish today? These don’t have to be big goals, they can be simple goals, like making your bed in the morning, having an hour without screen time, or washing, drying, folding and putting away laundry in one day!

The more you achieve small goals, make them bigger and bigger. Make weekly goals, monthly goals, yearly and so on. You will get in the habit of being a goal oriented thinker, and action will follow.

Stay motivated: It’s easy to slip into accepting mediocracy again when energy is low or motivation runs out. Find a source of motivation and keep going to that well. Maybe it’s success podcasts or having a mentor. Find something that gives you that edge!

Then, succeed!

6 Likes

Yes, indeed. I’ve certainly became accepting to mediocrity early in my alcoholic days, so much to the point that I don’t fear losing all that I possess the way that I should. This is all sound advice, but it definitely starts with unnaccepting mediocrity. In fact, I recall at time in my early 20s when I became accepting of other peoples self limiting behaviors, I even made excuses for them. I guess it was a subconscious method of making people not feel inferior to my better judgement, but ultimately it brough me to their level. In the end I became the person I said I’d never be. Boy that was deep, introspection is beautiful. Thanks!!

1 Like

I find setting realistic goals to start with, dont put too much pressure on yourself and remember its good to have some time for yourself too.

1 Like

I keep it simple. I give myself at least one goal a day. And i hold myself to that goal. Even if that goal is mowing the lawn for example. I set that goal and make sure it gets done. Now it doesnt matter when I do it that day. Or how many segments i break it up into. As long as i hit that goal. Then i get the feeling of accomplishment and gratification. I started super small. I make my bed everyday. That small goal sets me on the right path for the day. Once i started hitting these small goals i made my goals a little bigger each time. This began somewhat of a habit of self accountability.

Now for step work I recently was taught something and it worked for me. I was stuck on starting step 4. I just couldnt get it going. For three years i refused to start it. Until an old timer told me to go home, put on a pot of coffee, and just freakin do it. :joy::joy::joy: Simple but effective! It worked. I basially forced myself. But once it was happening i caught a groove and did the whole step.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Great thread and love reading the responses. I have had varied success. For example today I missed the gym because I stopped at McDonald’s. However I had an iron goal to do stepwork and did get the first 5 questions in Step 2 done. Also kinda made the right choice to stop laying in bed and clean up a bit.

1 Like

Thanks Dawg!! I’m not familiar with the steps but I believe one of my counselor mentioned Step 4, and that it may be a challenge if memory serves. Small steps is certainly the best approach, infact it carried me well in the first few months of my sobriety, then a woman kinda ruined me, or at least my choice to be with her. Ever since I’ve been struggling with my extremist approach to things where I feel like I need to do the most at once. In the end, little to bithing gets done. The saying is, one day at a time, gotta drill that in my essence.

1 Like

That’s good, at least you got those things done, and making the right choice always feels good. I’m gonna get back to journaling tonight, list the things I did wrong and the things I did right.

1 Like

Thank you you’re exactly right I only learned about a year ago that each task done gives the brain a dopamine hit, even if you don’t feel like doing it.

I am definitely still working on myself though.

1 Like

I relate man, but I am trying to become my full time artist and tattoo artist. And I just bought a drone I’m hoping to get some cool shots and videos to start posting and putting on YouTube as well… You really loved your music why not get back into that? Keep going bro your doing great

1 Like

Dawg I admire artists, folks who can draw especially!! You guys are in the top tier of human excellence to me. I fully encourage you to do it, I seen some of your pieces through a few months ago from my former account and was quite impressed and completely surprised. You got talent boyy!!

My love for creating music has almost burned out almost entirely, but I would like to get another podcast going.