Might be committed to inpatient again for my suicidal thoughts. I'll find out tomorrow

I won’t be able to post on here or anything for I have no idea how long. Probably a week ish. My feelings are active and serious enough that if I’m able to be honest at my appointment tomorrow I’m almost certain they’ll send me to the hospital. I hate it there so much. It’s basically prison and it really didn’t help at all clearly if I feel the same after already going twice. It’s just a place to lock you up so you’re not a liability. Worst part is I won’t even have anyone to call or who would come visit me so I’d literally be 100% on my own the whole time through it. Just wanted to post here, I’ll update everyone before they take my phone if I do go

7 Likes

Good luck, friend. Take the help. Hope for a better outcome than you’ve experienced in the past. Take care of you.

2 Likes

Thank you. I don’t have any hope for it helping since I’ve already done this twice and didn’t get anything out of it but maybe. Thank you either way

Good luck. After a few hospitalizations with me, they started realizing that doing the same stuff as before hadn’t been working, and changed things up. Hopefully that’s the case for you too.

Some tips that helped me slow the revolving door/merry-go-round of unproductive admittance/discharge cycle:

• Tell them what you need and what didn’t work, and make them hear you. Doesn’t guarantee anything, and it sounds obvious, but it’s key stuff and it’s surprising what they miss if it’s not said to their face in simple clear sentences. In my experience, they also don’t relay information between staff as extensively as I expected so I’d repeat myself a fair bit.
  • If they start talking about discharge and you don’t feel like things have been adequately addressed or you don’t feel ready to leave, tell them that too. Sometimes silence is interpreted as absence of a problem. If you have thoughts of harming yourself absolutely include this information. Whether you have plans to act on it is also relevant to their decision.

What helped me get through psych ward stays without visits or phone calls:

• Books. Even if you’re barely interested, it is something to do. They may not want you to bring hardcover books.
  • Colouring books, sudoku, that kind of thing. Dollar store has what you need, crayons and markers are the most likely colouring tools they’ll let you have. Notebook too if you write or are interested in writing/journalling.
  • Dreaming about the future or even fantasizing (what’s your dream house, job, what if you had a million dollars, etc.) can fill a surprising amount of time in that environment.
  • Talking to other patients isn’t always the most appealing but sometimes anything is better than being alone.
  • Exercise. If they don’t have equipment, you can do bodyweight exercises or dance anywhere. Helped me not get a sore back from the hospital beds too.

I’m glad you’re getting help, even if it doesn’t exactly inspire you with hope. By definition you never expect the unexpected, after all, and the unexpected does occasionally happen. This could be the time that does help.

14 Likes

Best of luck Daniel. You’ve got some great advice from @ifs and I hope you use it. Keep us posted. Sending you big hugs. :hugs:

5 Likes

Hope you are able to find some support (in whatever form that takes) that works for you Daniel. :heart:

1 Like

Sending hugs and thoughts from UK.
May peace invade your troubled thoughts and may there be adequate help and better treatment this visit.
We’re with you Daniel, you matter!

1 Like