Moderation? šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Yes there is such a thing as moderation for some people. Just not for me. Iā€™ve proven it time and time again. I am an alcoholic I accept that and life in recovery is my daily reprieve

1 Like

Simple to me im a Alcoholic and i cant drink , there are social drinkers who can drink .and a graveyard full of Alkys who still thought they could be social drinkers.

6 Likes

Hope this answered your question on ā€œModerationā€

1 Like

Most moderators have checked in on this thread by now. None of us can moderate our use though. Thatā€™s why weā€™re here.

2 Likes

:woman_shrugging: maybe, maybe not!
I know for me nope nope nope.
once i start there is no limit, the word moderation goes out the window :woman_facepalming:.
I have learned I can not be a social drinker, moderate drinker, a drinker period. Because I AM A BINGE DRINKER.
Im sure others can drink in moderation and set limits.
But if you question yourself if you can set limits and drink in moderation, the anwer is you probably cant.

I once tried to be a golfer. I really tried. So many I knew loved the game. I practiced. I took lessons. I played every chance I could. Sure, every once in a while I might luck out and drive the ball straight. I might sink a putt now and then. Heck, there was even a time when I played 9 holes and scored pretty well. Then I tried again right after and it was a disaster.

I spent a bunch of time and money trying to master something, and failed miserably, poorer for the experience. Frustrated. The butt of jokes from my ā€œgolfing buddiesā€. Eveb if I played "once in a while, I knew it wasnā€™t for me.I finally accepted that I just wasnā€™t meant to golf, and became a non-golfer.

Sorta like my drinking.

6 Likes

Hey there, @SassyRocks posted some great threads.

This gets asked a lot, and itā€™s something I desperately wanted for myself. The reason I was so curious about it was because I could not fathom a life without alcohol. So the fact that I had to try moderation (a gazillion million times) was the proof that it was not possible for me.

So I would say thisā€¦. Moderation is 100% possible IF you donā€™t have an addiction to alcohol.

My life is actually so much better now. Nothing has changed as far as socialization other than I remember the night before and donā€™t make a total ass of myself. The ā€˜meā€™ that I thought I needed alcohol to bring out, now comes out naturally. I save a ton of money and self-respect, and I enjoy myself exponentially more. Plus, I find drunk people entertaining, so thereā€™s that :joy:

Good luck to you, and keep on reading and posting here. Thatā€™s what we are here for. I donā€™t think there are many of us that didnā€™t once dream of the possibility of moderation, so pull up a chair and come on in :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Like others have said- normal drinkers donā€™t need to moderate as they donā€™t have the mental obsession to drink and carry on drinking.

They might binge drink once a month, I cannot do that personally

I tried to moderate myself to 12 pints an evening for a bit and I was only allowed to drink in the house, Is that normal :rofl:

Moderation gave me an excuse to drink, moderation then turns into me lying about my alcohol use,

If Iā€™m thinking moderation, Iā€™m obsessing with the idea that I want alcohol, Iā€™m making excuses to drink,

Thinking moderation means your already there, why obsess with the idea of drinking? What am I gaining by having a glass of wine, or a bottle of beer?

I read an interesting post in a music forum I belong to, most venues make 95% of their profit off of alcohol, which is true.

But todayā€™s musicians are moving away from being drinkers, more about defining their craft, todays world the patrons are out drinking the musicians, which was unheard of years ago

Me choosing not to drink in social circles proves something, I have discipline, I know many people who canā€™t sit with a crowd and not have a beer or whatever, it means Iā€™m stronger and not a sheep.

4 Likes

This. That how I always looked at it. I would choose not to drink before I only drank one. Didnā€™t see the point if I couldnt take it to the limit.

2 Likes

Amen.
And another amen for 10 characters.

7 Likes