Mom just gave a lift to someone for a covid test

Sorry if there’s a post about this, but I couldn’t find it. I guess I just need to vent and can’t find anyplace to do so.
I am so pissed right now. Here’s the story.
My mother just called me. She was in her car, with my brother’s girlfriend. My mom was just calling me to tell a funny story, about how they got lost going downtown Montreal for my brothers girlfriend to go pass her test for covid, because she started to have symptoms 2 days ago and works in an hospital. They weren’t realizing why I didn’t find it funny, even if the part that they got lost was actually funny… except for the covid potential part.
My mom is 65 years old. My brother was supposed to lift his girlfriend for the test, not my mom. I asked them (they were still in the car and on speaker) why he didn’t go. So apparently he wasn’t feeling so good so he decided that he wouldn’t go. So, like every time, my mother went to be the good mother. And just like that she passed half of the day in the same car with a potential covid.
I am so pissed they didn’t ask me to go, so pissed my brother didn’t go, so pissed my mom went even if 3 days ago I went to do hey grocery and told her I’ll do the shopping for her.
But also I’m pissed at myself because yesterday they talked to me about it and I was depressive and kind of hang over from couple days ago, and I wasn’t fully aware that my mom was actually thinking about going with my brothers girlfriend.
Maybe I’m overreacting , like more then half of the world. But my girlfriend is working in intensive care unit and it’s getting pretty bad, even for people in their thirties… and we discuss about that all nights when she comes back at home. So imagine my reaction when my 65 years old mom went casually in a car to give a lift to someone who is in quarantine from her hospital work because she might have been contaminated and therefore have to be tested before going back to work.

Anyways. Just needed to vent a bit…
But I posted here because this actually make me want to go to the grocery right next to the street and buy booze. I don’t really want to. It’s not gonna change anything. It’s just going to make everything worst. I guess I will let myself feel pissed a bit. Maybe call someone to vent. Rough day 2…

2 Likes

It might change one thing: What I do in the next moment. A drink never made anything better for me, and almost always worse.

Sober, I can be present when the opportunity arises. I know for me, having a drink just makes me want to retreat from it all. It sets me up for more resentments as things fly by with me doing nothing or just making things worse.

This whole “situation” out there is weirdly like staying sober in one way. Just not drinking, sitting totally still, seems like what could it possibly help?

Until those next moments come and I’m alert, healthy and grateful I’m sober, building toward something better with those around me. That even if all I do is stay sober, it’s better for everyone.

All my best to you and your family. :pray:

7 Likes

Even if all I do is being sober , it’s better for everyone… so true.
You’re so right. Drinking will change the “after”… this helped me a lot right now. Just watched the press conference and the prime minister just thanked the healthcare professionals partners, which I am, for their support and stuff. I felt like shit knowing that I’ve been some days drinking instead of just being supportive.
So yes, you’re right, it’s going to change something if I drink. But change it in a bad way. A worse way

2 Likes

And in this time there’s something sober me can do instead: Just call someone! :grinning: Or if you do meetings, find some of those online recovery meetings.

I live alone, and some very thoughtful sober friends have checked in on me at random through my 2 weeks at home. It’s been a nice highlight of my day and reminder of how excellent people are. Not to mention nice to hear what they’re up to to get out of my head.

I’ve been paying this forward by thinking about who else I knew out there that might be struggling or plain bored, then calling just to say “Hey, how you doing?” Friends, other folks in recovery, family I haven’t talked to in a while.

Been a great time to reconnect if nothing else, and more constructive than just staring at the walls. :rofl:

4 Likes