Monday Night Cravings

Working on night 5 and thinking about future plans. Feeling bummed I won’t be able to drink for New Years which is also my 8 year anniversary with my man. (I know, stupid thing to feel sad over.) We traditionally have a couple drinks of our favorite beer together. Trying to redirect that thought into something positive. Think about the things I will be able to do. Like not have a hangover, not feel tired half way to midnight because of alcohol.

What do you do for cravings? What activities do you engage in when they set in?

Makes me feel inadequate because I’m not capable of moderation. Fighting that mental battle too. Knowing my dad used to be an alcoholic and is now able to have 2 beers maybe every 6 months hurts my pride a little. It’s okay. I can do this. I know I don’t need alcohol to be happy. :muscle:t2:

2 Likes

New years is still 4 weeks away. No need to worry about that yet. With another 28 days under your belt you might have a completely different outlook on drinking.

This will also be a great opportunity to start a new tradition.

2 Likes

As far as cravings go in early sobriety I read like a maniac on this website the first 2 weeks. Also read Allen Carr’s easy way to quit drinking.
You could also listen to podcasts. Recovery Elevator is a favorite podcast of mine.

1 Like

I totally get how you feel! I’m on day one and am thinking about all of the holiday events I will have to get through without drinking. I considered waiting until the 1st to quit but also couldn’t tolerate the idea of drinking for another month. I figure if I can get through this time period things should feel pretty easy by comparison after New Years! Looking forward to not hating myself tomorrow morning.

3 Likes

I love podcasts! Can’t wait to listen to this one. Thank you!

I’m also on night five and have the same concerns about holidays. But your strength has lead you here and can lead you through tomorrow too. I am already building my toolbox and will use it during the company holiday party this coming Saturday. Club soda with lime will be my drink. And if anyone asks me why I’m not drinking (they all know me as a guy who liked to drink rather heavily). I’m going to look them in the eye and say “I don’t drink anymore”. That’s it. Then I’ll have a blast anyway. And I’ll probably excuse myself several times to check in here on the forum. And I’ll also find some other folks who don’t drink and commiserate with them. You got this. You can do it for sure! And the next day when everyone else is miserable, you will have the most excellent start to your new year. And new you. Peace

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I so agree! I’ve been looking at photos recently of my coworkers nights out, and instead of feelings left out I feel sorry for them. Seeing how their faces look, I can see a huge sense of sadness I didn’t see before. It’s really weird. And I see it in the photos of me too now. I’m super ready for a new year.

1 Like

I like your thought on this, to do something positive instead of only removing the negative. Something needs to fill the holes in our lives that we stuffed alcohol into.

I like to use low barrier activities when I start feeling off. If it’s hard to get settled into the activity, it’s harder for me to use as a tool. I like tea, face to face conversations, media, playing volleyball if there’s a game going on. Things that engage the senses with a minimum of effort. Other things that I would enjoy doing that are further out of reach, like composing a symphony or computer programming, are left for other less vulnerable times. That’s a me thing, though, other people might be the opposite.

2 Likes

My Cravings where really bad in the beginning and I was an at home drinker why pay for beers and liquor at the bar when you can get it cheaper at the liquor store and drink at home and be safer right? So I couldn’t be at home at all I did whatever I could do to not be at home I work longer hours I helped as many people as possible I found as many AA meetings as I could go to I stayed as late as possible after the meeting I called people I did whatever I could to Tire myself out to the point that when I got home I wouldn’t think about going into my kitchen and wanting to drink. I didn’t even cook food in my kitchen for the first 3 months because I was so uncomfortable it wasn’t until about 4 months sober and into my fourth step that I felt complete and utter relief and the obsession to drink was gone after completing my four step…

My suggestion is do whatever you can do to stay busy when you go out for New Year’s make sure you have an energy drink in your hand or a bottle of water I always ask for a Red Bull if I’m at a bar makes me feel a little bit better than people just think I’m the DD. And it keeps my hands busy because at least I have a drink in my hand while everybody else has a drink in their hand. And make sure U talk to somebody else besides your boyfriend that you can trust about how you feel before you go out on New Year’s somebody that maybe can keep you accountable and also let him know that you’re really are trying to stay sober and that he should support that so but don’t worry about it right now just stay in today focus on just staying sober right now

2 Likes