Motivation! What motivation?

So…I have all this motivation to stay clean and sober but, I have the lazies in my everyday life. When I’m at work or heading to a meeting I am going full throttle, but at home I’m becoming a couch potato. I am already extremely overweight and used to use alcohol as an excuse to be sedentary. I always assumed my energy levels would skyrocket back to the levels of my 20s and early 30s when I sobered up. Any tips on getting started on a health journey and staying motivated? Thanks in advance.

I’m at 22 days and the first couple weeks were an absolute energy drag for me. I just got back to running yesterday. I’m told your body is going through a lot of changes early on and you need to extra rest, so be patient. I finally had to just get my ass off the couch yesterday and run…it wasn’t easy and my mile times have become almost 2 min slower over a month of no running, but I got it done. I always say to have more energy, you need to burn energy…try a walk or a hike just to get the blood flowing and the calories burning and see if that helps with your energy levels. Also make sure ur drinking enough water and getting enough vitamin B…we drinkers are notoriously low in that area. Coffee has become my constant companion throughout the day…that helps me as well.

1 Like

I’m about to start day 63 and I am more tired now than I was in the first weeks. I just feel lethargic much of the time. Maybe a vitamin deficiency or something. I think I’m going to see my family doctor for a full physical and bloodwork. Definitely don’t want to stay so lazy feeling. I will try your suggestions. I have a ton of supplements that I haven’t been taking. That’s probably has much to do with it. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

You might be anemic or vitamin b deficient. It could be a “winter funk”. Suggest you just start with a walk. 15 minutes. Listen to an upbeat podcast or music. Increase every day a little bit. Soon you will have a routine and your body will actually look forward to your activity, and you’ll feel off when you don’t work out.

It is a good idea to consult your doctor before beginning a workout plan after a period of being sedentary.

1 Like

Your working hard on changing habits… that is going to be draining.

Won’t be much longer till all the ‘muscle memories’ are replaced, and function even better than before because the new ‘exercises’ are much better quality.

I used to go for long walks with my walk man that was along time ago now id listen to the boss and i went further everyday changed my diet and start to go back to the gym and of course went to meetings and i lost that bloated felling and weight and still go for long walks 30 odd years later wish you well