Moving...and the nightmare it actually is!

9 days 16 hrs. Just a few hours to hitting the double digits. I am hanging in here by the skin of my teeth though… :grimacing:

I’ve seen some posts on here talking about moving houses. I know how stressful it can be. The packing. The logistics. The lot. Well, I am currently going through just that. Only I’m not only moving houses, I moving countries! Moving from Johannesburg to London. Today…as productive as it has been so far, I am so stressed out all I can think of is going to the store, get a beer or ten and drink the stress away.

Full disclosure, I am writing this having come back from the store. I bought a pack of cigarettes. Looked longingly at the beers on display. Paid for my cigarettes and walked home. The stress is intense. Wondering just how much of it I can take before I break.

For now…staying strong.

Also…I am doing all this here by myself as my partner is already in the UK with work. Not easy.

16 Likes

That’s a big move. I’ve done that. Hang in there. Good on you for not buying anything at the store. Moving is also a good time to clean out. Clean out the things that trigger you. The things you want to let go. Look at it making a fresh start and keep that in front of your mind. One day at a time. Hang in there.

6 Likes

Thanks a lot. Cleaning out… That’s exactly what I should be actively doing.

1 Like

It is stressful moving, we can’t deny that. It can also be liberating and an opportunity for new healthy habits to form. You can and will get thru this sober. Great words from @Here.I.am!! Use this time as a tine of creation and growth!! There will always be stress in life, learning good coping techniques…taking packing breaks, getting out for a walk, meditating…etc…will help too.

Good luck with the move and be sure to take care of yourself thru this process. :heart:

1 Like

While in the service, I moved 14 times. Four of these moves involved moving overseas, and then back to the US. After I got out, I moved 3 times in 2 years. Since moving to my present home, I’ve managed to stay put, for 20 years.

Yes, moving can be stressful, but it’s not without opportunity. It’s a great time to pare down and declutter. Reset your material base-line.

We figure we have one more move to make, in about 8 years. We will buy and move to a smallish mountain in West Virginia, and live out our days.

3 Likes

Moving sucks. Theres really no way around that. But since you gotta do it, think of it as a fresh start since you’re still so early in your recovery. Make your new place your new sober sanctuary. Could be good changing locations away from where you’ve been used to doing your drinking. Find support in your new town and try to meet some sober friends. It’s a new beginning for you. You can get thru this. Stay strong :muscle:

1 Like

congrats on the move, anthony! london is such a great city. i would love to live there one day.

you got this. stay strong, and take it a day at a time. x

1 Like

Hang tight, my friend. Three years ago I moved from London to the USA. I drank through that experience and I would not recommend it. It made things more stressful and chaotic and emotional and weird. You are doing marvelously - keep it up. :bird:

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I have a new Friday routine. Instead of going out drinking and waking up with such a hangover that I no longer have a weekend to speak of, I go to my friend’s place and watch a mindless TV show until midnight, come home and sleep. Today we watched the last 4 episodes of The Circle on Netflix. It’s such a trash show but we laughed and cursed at the TV and just relaxed. Eating burritos and drinking freshly squeezed orange juice. It’s summer here…

A fresh start…declutter…reset.

Have a lovely night/day/evening/morning! xo

I’m so happy for you. To move to another country and start a complete new life is such a big step, maybe one of the biggest a person can go. To do this requires so much courage. I wish all the best for you and your new beginning!