Moving on?

Why move on? We’re alcoholics. Whether we like it or not alcohol will remain a part of us one way or another. I’ll be sure that it stays a mental thought rather than a physical addiction again. With that said, to me it seems clear that I’ll be tethered to alcohol and this community for the remainder of my sobriety (providing this site remains active). Even if I wanted to move on from here all the thoughts would remain. Thoughts of the friends made here would remain.Thoughts of what I’ve learned here would remain. I know @Shell was specifically speaking of alcoholism but its always going to be there wether we acknowledge it or not. So this is why I ask, Why move on?

3 Likes

Moving on I think is a natural progression of our recovery. At least I hope so. I hope that one day I won’t need to be thinking about sobriety 24/7. But that doesn’t mean we don’t keep doing work. We’ll always need our toolboxes available when needed.

I just know that in the past when I have stopped focusing on recovery 100% that is when the voices start back and eventually I relapse. So far I have gone farther than ever before and I am sure that it is because, in part, of my continued focus. Maybe it is also a new resolve this time??? I don’t know. But right now I’m not going to stop TS, meetings, reading, prayer, etc. I need to stay focused.

But I do think that one day I’ll lighten my load so I can focus on other things more.

3 Likes

I’ve thought about this, this afternoon. I wouldn’t say that it is forefront in my mind all the time. But I’m aware of it being there. Much, I think, in the same way that I think about being a dad, or a builder. You know, when you think about work when you’re not at work, it’s there working around your brain.
Hope that made sense :smile:

2 Likes

I totally agree that the thoughts will always be there and that they need to be to keep us focused. I have no intention of leaving TS (I hope the site remains active for as long as it is needed by people and that will be forever in my mind) it’s an integral part of my sobriety. I guess I asked because to some extent this phase of moving on has “happened to me” rather than it being of my choosing, in that my counselling and alcohol services meetings have come to their natural conclusion and Antabuse I can no longer take due to side effects. I guess I’m worried that losing these tools could send me backwards, I have no intention of going backwards but am still concerned that I’m doing “enough” as it were to continue my success so far

1 Like

It makes perfect sense and seems much like where I am right now, it’s always there and I know that’s a good thing :blush: I just worry that that is “enough”. I need to start believing in myself a bit more I think

1 Like

Whenever you’re feeling whatever, pay a visit here, you’ll be realligned pretty quick. I visit multiple x a day, first thing upon waking and last thing before sleep. Its been working. I hope your road will get smoother and visits here will be more for conversation and smiles and less for counsel. All the best to you, Shell

3 Likes

I thought the same as u about aa … i totally love … its the best thing ive ever done in my life… they keep me going and i love the kindness of the people and we all understand eachother… its the best thing ive ever done to help my recovery. X

2 Likes

Yeah. I don’t know about you, but I’ve not been waiting for that moment where all of a sudden I think hey I’m cured! I know that ain’t gonna happen. But also on the other side of the coin, it isn’t going to be the be all and end all of my life.

2 Likes

I have nothing against AA in fact I like everything it stands for, it’s traditions, values and the idea of a sober community. Attending would not worry me as my local meeting is held where I attended alcohol services so I have met some of the people before in the waiting area whilst they waited for meetings and I waited for my Keyworker. I have pondered on going, the reason I haven’t is that everything I’ve been doing to date has worked perfectly for me, I think my journey has been somewhat easier than many so far (but that also worries me sometimes as in “is this too easy, am I not doing enough?”) I genuinely have not felt the need to attend so far but I’m open to anything and have always said if I ever felt myself going backwards I would attend so it’s certainly still on the cards if I feel I need to. I’m glad it’s helping you so much x

4 Likes

@Shell After I got sober I found the time to try new hobbies, travel, and I married another sober alcoholic after my first AA bday. The one thing I don’t like about AA is that there is a focus on the drinking problem rather than the solution at some meetings or by some people.

2 Likes