MVC, DUI, and my life is once again a nightmare...need help!

When just one bad decision ruined my life. Lost my license, lost my job as a nurse, nursing license on probation, my daughter wont speak to me, and my family disowned me. Facing a lot of charges ( i collided with and totalled an on duty Sherrifs vehicle) Still dont know why my life was spared, but i have 91 days sober today so i guess thats something.

23 Likes

Holy Shit!
I’m glad to see you back. But not quite under these circumstances. :scream: I guess you found your rock bottom. Lucky you’re alive. God bless.
Well. You know what you got to do. And you CAN so do it. I remember you had a pretty good chunk of sobriety awhile ago.

Congrats on your 91 days.
God gave you a wake the fuck up call.
I hope to see you around and active again on here. We’re always here if you want.
:pray::heart:

10 Likes

I added the picture of the deputy and his vehicle i totalled. Hit him head on going 80mph after blacking out. It happened on the highway in front of a tiny dive bar…definitely a sign & a wake-up call… i just dont know what im going to do about a job, all of my charges show up on a background check…im getting very depressed. I go to 6 AA meetings a week and have absolutely NO cravings to drink but all that wont pay my bills…

9 Likes

Holy shit im glad nobody died! Good for you for getting sober again.

I see you had a year sober before? What made you go back to drinking? If you dont mind me asking i think your story could help others.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to make light of your bills and no job and the difficulties ahead for you. But you’re going to figure it out. My son almost killed himself in a car wreck on campus. Hit a light post though. They said it was lucky in a way that he was so drunk that he was able to just slide out of his totaled car. Kinda went with the crash if you get what I’m trying to say. Instead of bracing himself and jarring his back and or neck. Anyway…. He told me it was definitely a wake up call from God and he realized he could have killed somebody. But he told me. “Dad. I’ll figure it out.” He did. And so will you. With the help of AA, and ODAAT and maybe just one hour at a time. I’m just grateful you’re ok and you didn’t kill anyone.

11 Likes

I was at my work Christmas party at a restaurant 30 miles from where i live. When they started karaoke my abusive ex showed up & saw me. I hadnt had anything to drink besides club soda all night until he decided to propose to his girlfriend in front of me. I said fuck it & started the vodka cranberries. After the wreck my BAC was 0.28 and that was after i stopped drinking for an hour. I still have no memory of it all. The last thing i remember was leaving the party and then i woke up on my couch in hospital paper scrubs with hospital bracelets on, covered in bruises & stitches, all my clothes cut up from the paramedics in a bag, a stack of papers with my charges, and no memory of how i got home. It wasnt until 2 months later when i got copies of the ER report that i found out a lady from my womens AA meeting took me home.

10 Likes

Holy shit thats heavy and scary! Addiction is a bitch and just waits for those “fuck it” moments.

Do you mean this all happened the first night you picked up?

6 Likes

Im grateful too! I would’ve never forgiven myself! Apparently where i crashed was very close to railroad tracks and a train was going by at the time. Had i not collided with the officer i wouldve hit the train.

8 Likes

Yes i had not drank until that night. I had almost 2 years.

9 Likes

Wow thats scary! It helps me to remain humble and remember that this disease can come for us at anytime. Im glad you are going to so many aa meetings. Aa and the fellowship works if you work it.

As for the job…can you go into an admin roll?

7 Likes

I actually decided to finally go back to school to finish my nurse practitioner in emergency medicine. Ive been wanting to do it but something has always come up and stopped me. I figure when im done with school next year this will all be behind me. Then i can start fresh.

8 Likes

Very scary @Cjp
This is one of my biggest fears. I’m a pretty big guy. I drank a lot. I mean A LOT! And I know I can never have just one. I never did before. Im afraid if I pick up again with no tolerance I’d kill myself or someone. Thanks for this stark reminder. Im sorry your going through this. The reality is this disease kills us and it’s easy to forget that. Im just so glad you’re ok.
:pray:t2::heart:

10 Likes

🫨🫨🫨 I am so sorry!

I hope this accident is used totally for your good! That is amazing that you are going back to school! I am so glad that your life and the life of the deputy was spared. :people_hugging:

I am so happy to be sober with you :heart:
Keep posting & stay connected

7 Likes

Wow. Your post, your vulnerability, your honesty- all of it is so brave and humbling. Thank you for being this transparent and letting us see firsthand how important our sobriety and decisions are. I am sorry this happened to you, but the universe spared you for a reason. The candor and bravery you showed us here makes me think your recovery might be your life’s work because you’re already using it to teach and inspire. Have you ever thought of being a nurse or nurse practitioner in a rehab facility or similar? Please keep posting updates about how you are, how you’re healing, and how you’re turning this around because I truly believe you will.

11 Likes

Wow, I am so glad you and the deputy are alive and no one was killed. Thank you for sharing. Well done on your sobriety again and moving forward as best you can with the consequences. Take it a day at a time and keep investigating ways to move forward.

7 Likes

Holy crap! That’s some accident. Happy to hear you and others escaped death this time. Glad you opened up and shared honestly about what happened. Others need to know how easily emotions can take us out in a heartbeat. We can all learn from your one bad decision.
Congrats on your 91 days!

9 Likes

Fucking hell! If I saw your totaled car without knowing the circumstances I’d immediately assume the driver was a goner. I’m so glad you and the deputy made it out alive. And I am so sorry this horrific thing happened to you. Having to pick up the pieces from a disaster you don’t even remember is frightening. Thank you for being so brave and vulnerable in sharing.

6 Likes

I remember you, and oh my God what a disaster :flushed: Thanks God no one got killed.
But in the end, what happened to you, may be a reminder for all of us how incredibly important it is to always and I mean ALWAYS watch that monster.
I relapsed too, my mind got lazy and I thought “fuck it I wanna have a good time in the little free time I have” and picked up the bottle again.
We must deal wirh the fact that we can never go back, we’re not like others who can stop after one or two glasses.
Our lession in life is to learn how to control this and how to deal with life sober.
It’s incredibly tragic what happened to you and everyone involved, but your example is a reminder to all of us what can happen if we lose control.
I wish you all the best, stay strong :muscle::kissing_heart:

10 Likes

I don’t pretend to know your situation. What I have heard from similar stories is that the “one bad decision” actually began weeks or months before the event.

The cunning, baffling, powerful, patient beast we treat and keep at bay can let me think I’m doing okay. I need to take your object lesson to heart and examine my own behavior. And it’s past time I branched out beyond my home group and found a new sponsor. Haven’t had one since the beginning of COVID. I had a sponsor for the 15 years before that and I’m finding I feel okay without one the past 3 years. Feeling okay has not been a really great indicator that I’m actually doing okay, based on my past. Time for a conversation with someone.

6 Likes

I actually applied for a nursing job at Valley Hope Rehab. But due to my DUI im not eligible for 2 years now. So i decided to finally go back to school for my nurse practitioner specializing in emergency medicine and addiction. I find out when i can start on Tuesday when i meet with my advisor. I pray i can start next month. I need all the prayers i can get to make this my new reality. Thank you so much for your kind words and support, it means more to me than you will ever know!

6 Likes