My best friend is now a unfortunate- warning

I had a best friend who was at the peak of hos addiction. I dabbled with drugs with him at one point of my life. I was introduced to AA and na way be4 we met but i never understood the program. They told me to ditch the friends that use for my own saftey and i now get that

The last time i saw him i was maybe 1 or 2 weeks sober and he was in my kitchen buying crack on the phone so I got mad and kicked him out. After hearing he was making moves on my gf so i decided to tell him i did not want him to be my friend and i did not want him here.

About 2 weeks ago I got the word from my roommate he was dead. From what I heard he took a hit of fet and dope, fell and broke his neck then died.

I have a lot of anger for the person he was with. Not because of the dope, not because he was at his house, but it took that person 1 full night to call someone to get his body out of his house. He didn’t even call the police. He called someone who ended up calling for him.

I had 1 or 2 weeks sober be4 i kicked him out for good.

Imagine if i was one of the people with him. I would have called right away but would I be in dangor if i decided to call; would i be dead right now. It was close. I am not proud to say this but i even smoked h 3 months ago. I smoked crack and sniffed coke with him

When i first met my friend all we did was drink and smoke pot. We chilled with eachother everyday for 3 years be4 the crack came in to our lives

Im blessed my sobriety date is weeks be4 the day he died. Im so greatful for that

6 Likes

I’m very sorry for your loss. Too bad your friend didn’t find recovery in time. Unfortunately, there’s nothing you could have done to change that. You lived by example and that’s all any of us can do.

Take care of yourself while you work through the emotions. If you have a therapist, bring it up at your next counseling session.

Addiction is killing too many. I used to do cocaine daily and I’m very lucky I stopped when I did. Everything is being laced with fentanyl these days. This is just another good reason to stay on this sober path. I always say…“I have a relapse in me but I doubt I have another recovery.”

Hang in there and stay close to your sober community. Sending you big hugs :hugs:

4 Likes