My day one again

Day one for me again . I am a 55 year old husband , father and grandfather. I have been drinking for about 40 years, i have never been a blackout , falling over kind of drinker. I always seem to have more than I intended to though. I’ve been sober curious for a couple of years , read a lot online , each time I decide to give up i get a voice after a few days telling me I will be okay moderating . Sat here now with a hangover and anxiety issues. I really hope that i can do it this time

13 Likes

Hi Ted! Welcome! 49 here and drank for 19 years. Sober on and off and even did rehab once. It’s never too late :heart: There’s wonderful and wise people in here. Utilize this app in your sober journey-search around and ask lots of questions :slight_smile: I’m glad you’re here!

3 Likes

Hey bud. 54 here. Drank since before it was legal for me to. Been a heavy drinker all my life. Got worse over the years till I was drinking on a daily basis, all day.
Have a good read around, and take in what people say. Have an open mind and work hard.
I’m now 679 days sober so if I can do it I’m pretty certain you can as well mate.
:facepunch:

2 Likes

It’s much better being a non drinker. Try it!

2 Likes

Ya Geo but how many SECONDS is that??!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks for the support, I am ready to finally quit , only managed 20 days in the past , hopefully find lots of inspiration on here :pray:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for all your support, it means a lot to know people have my back :pray:

2 Likes

I relapsed twice. One was 3 months sober. The second was 6 months sober. I then went on a binge streak that ended up affecting my epilepsy. I finally said that’s it im done. The last 2.5 years have been my best. No more waking up sick and not wanting to play with the kids. No more forgetting what I said to my wife or my kids.
but “the farther you get into the woods, the less scary the woods appear.”

Good luck. Dont be a stranget!

3 Likes

58689270…1…2…3…4…5

2 Likes

58 million!!! That puts you in the category of sober royalty :wink::grin:

Nah, still early days yet. But thanks :two_hearts:

1 Like

50 years old this summer - first sober birthday! I, too, am not a blackout/falling down drunk kind of drinker (maybe one of each of those?), but consumed steadily and consistently and wayyyyy toooo much for too many years. I can relate to your “voice after a few days”, as I used to put so much work into trying to moderate.
Only a few in my world would say my drinking was problematic, but most would say “she likes her wine” and then point to my career, my degrees, my long-term friendships, my amicable divorce, my ability to attend to my parents and others’ needs, as evidence I do not have a problem.

I, on the other hand, got tired of carrying around so much shame and anxiety. It truly is never too late.

Welcome to this place - I wouldn’t have 73 days behind me if it weren’t for this forum and these beautiful humans. Life is much better this way. :orange_heart:

4 Likes

Thank you, I am so glad I found this app, so many lovely supportive people :heart:

3 Likes

Well, I’m a 56 year old wastrel, and have been drinking for far too long. As you mentioned, never a “falling down blacked out” kind of drinker, but mostly just too much, too often, and for too long.
I think that you’ll find this group / site to be really helpful, I know that I certainly do. I try to get on here and check in quite regularly, a few times a day, in fact. It’s nice to have support, however low my opinion of myself.
As I often say on this site, try to remember that doing without alcohol isn’t DEPRIVING yourself of anything, but rather FREEING yourself.
That’s a quote from Alan Carr’s book on stopping alcohol. It’s an easy read and inexpensive… I downloaded it from Amazon for under €5, as I recall.
It’s a good book, lots of sound info in there… and lots of people here who can help you along.

2 Likes