My First NA Meeting!

Two days ago, I posted a little about myself and my relapses here and expressed my nervousness about going to my first NA meeting and my doubts about my recovery. The idea of going and being surrounded by people who are doing much better in life than me felt like something that would make me feel worse, not better.
But last night, I toughened up! I told myself I had nothing to lose at rock bottom, met up with my friend (who’s nearly 10 years sober!!), and we went together. I didn’t expect for everyone to be so supportive and welcoming. I didn’t expect all of the hugs. I feel more motivated than ever.
All of this time, I’ve been looking to someone or something for my reason to get sober, but now I know I have to do it for me and heal from within. And if those people could do it at 50, after facing charges, overdosing multiple times, being in jail… I sure as hell can do it too. I’m only 19. There is so much in life that I can still do, and I’m so glad I did something brave last night.

6 Likes

The thing that stands out to me the most about my first N.A meeting was the hugs at the end. I just didn’t expect it. There was such a good vibe in the meeting as well.

1 Like

Yes! Another thing that really shook me was when all the girls in the room wrote down their names and numbers on the back of a pamphlet that showed all the rest of the meetings for the month and gifted it to me. Warmed my heart. I have a whole support network now.

3 Likes

Yay! Good for you

1 Like