My glutenfree journey

As some of you may have noticed I (again) started to cut out gluten from my diet.
I like to check in daily or more often every day to share how I feel or what benefits I have from eating this way, but it kinda feels wrong to post in the Checking in daily thread, so I made my own.

Many see it as a kind of trend or new lifestyle to go glutenfree.
I did some research and for some ppl it may be beneficial to eat this way.

I have some medical conditions that may become better when going glutenfree, like:

• eczema
  • hashimotos disease
  • constipation
  • chicken skin on my upper arms
  • blackheads on my chin and between my eyebrows (I am turning 40 soon so goddamn I want this to go away!)

Also I noticed, that after eating bread or pasta (as some days ago) my heartbeat goes crazy.
I checked this symptom and I am not alone with this!
There does exist a test called “Pulse Test by A. F. Coca M. D.”. Basically it says that, if your pulse goes too high after eating something you don’t tolerate it well and should stop eating it.

So, here I am on day 3.
I feel better today, the withdrawal symptoms calm down. Yes, you can have withdrawal when you stop eating gluten. Some feel the same way when they stop eating sugar. It is addicting. There are tons of information in the www.

If you want to check in here with me you of course are welcome :heart:

8 Likes

I’ve read that the wheat we have today isn’t the same as it was fifty years ago due to genetic modification and that could be contributing to the negative reactions some people have to it. I hope you get the results you want from cutting it out.

3 Likes

That’s right. It’s not the same wheat any more.
I went glutenfree in the past so I know that I feel better and my skin is almost healthy. But I went back into old behaviour bc I was lazy :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I look forward to following your progress here. I went gluten free a couple of years ago but by default really as I started doing keto. The plan wasn’t specifically to go gluten free but it had a really positive impact on my health. For years I has struggled with chronic acid reflux, really awful. After about 2 weeks of no gluten it just went away, just like that. So i’d basically been gluten intolerant for years and not realised, thinking the acid reflux was caused by drinking when it was actually bread :neutral_face:

I hope you see some positive changes, I’m sure you will :+1:

3 Likes

Wow! I sometimes have acid reflux too…I’ll observe that :+1:

1 Like

Are you sure it’s eczema? Has a rash ever been biopsies? My friend thought she had poison ivy but when it never went away she had a biopsy and it turned out to be gluten intolerance. I don’t think it is celiac but diagnosed gluten intolerance.

At least then you’d know for sure.

As for the blackheads…have you tried cutting dairy? Dairy is known to cause issues with acne.

You know your body better than anyone else. Keep doing whatever you need to do to be your healthiest. I know I’m okay with gluten but I do find starchy carbs are my enemy. Too much potatoes, rice, grains etc really increases my bloat and weight. I don’t care what nutritionists say…starchy carbs do not agree with me.

2 Likes

I never had a biopsy because my symptoms are not the same ppl wich celiac have. It get’s worse when I eat too much pastry, cookies, bread etc. So my main enemies (lol) are sugar and gluten.
The problem here is that Doctors laugh at you when you tell them you think your problems come from your diet. You get an ointment and if that does not help you get another one and so on and so on.
My skin already became better after cutting dairy. Some goatcheese is okay, it doesn’t harm me.
I think too that not everybody can tolerate the same foods. We’re all a little different :heart:

Do your thing girl :+1: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

That’s exactly it. They know that people can have celiac but if you font have celiac then gluten is fine. There is no individual middle ground. We need to do what makes us feel best. Whether that be gluten-free, Atkins, keto, vegan, whatever.

1 Like

Day 4
The chicken skin on my upper arms is healing nicely. There are only coming some new pimples but they’re tiny and no inflammation. I used to have masses of them on each side.
Only 3 tiny pimples in my face.
My feet still look the same. The eczema needs many weeks to heal, I know this from my last attempt.
I’m very satisfied with everything.

2 Likes

Note to me: cashews are the devil and no good healthy snack for me :poop:
*laying on my couch with a hurting belly

1 Like

Made my first glutenfree bread today using an already mixed flour. Still more expensive than wheat flour but cheaper than buying gf bread (the price for a tiny bread is extreme).
I kinda inhaled everything :see_no_evil::drooling_face:
Skin keeps on looking good. Not one pimple today :partying_face: Arms keep on healing, feet look a little bit better.
Major thing I just realized: the itching of my skin became a lot better :heart:

3 Likes

Is there anyone e that can stop at 5 cashews?!.

LOL

1 Like

Of course not (insert evil laugh here)

Did I already say that I hate summer?
I hate summer!
Men looking at you drooling bc you wear a dress, chafing legs, sweating like crazy, headache…
I want fall! :fallen_leaf: :heart:
One good thing: I found gf pizza in the grocery store

1 Like

Day 8: :white_check_mark:
Something interesting happened, I realized it yesterday. My nose isn’t blocked any more :partying_face: No need to take any spray, it’s fine.
Checked out another grocery store. They got pretty much hyped bc of their range of gf and vegan foods. I bought milk, some muffins and pasta :heart: The range of foods was not as wide as assumed, but they have the basics that are very expensive in other stores.

4 Likes

How did you get on with the gf bread? I tried it once and it didn’t agree with me at all!

20200728_175210

1 Like

Pretty good so far. But didn’t buy bread, I bought a baking mixture:

And I try not to eat too much bread, I want to get more greens and vitamins in :laughing:

2 Likes

Right, I guess the best way to do it is to eat more healthy foods rather than load up on gf versions of bread, pasta etc. Seems like its already having a positive impact which is great.

1 Like

It does :wink: A nice extra: I’m not hungry all the time any more.

1 Like

Tried this bread years ago when I tried to live gf the first time. It’s quite good, but sooo tiny mini slices of bread :joy:

That’s why I bought it hahaha. I like to make panbread every weekend. Now that I’m on vacation this week I’ll have it more often I think :yum:

1 Like