My hangover story

Well im on day 1 again. I gave in and drank and guess what? I got arrested. Charged with battery on a cop and possession of marijuana. Never in my sober mind would i ever think to hit a cop. Im actually the type to laugh at people who do and ask how can they be so stupid. I was that stupid. My boyfriend broke up with me and my car is nowhere to be found. Can’t find it in any tow truck place so im guessing it was stolen. So yes this post is for anyone who thinks that one drink wont lead to more and those who think you’re life can’t change in a few hours. I’ve never been in trouble with the law before but here i am.

3 Likes

Sounds like a lot of us used to be, the insanity of alcohol is a dangerous thing. I hope you are OK. Have you tried a recovery support group? Now is the time to make big changes which can impact how this tape plays out. When you think about taking a drink again, rewind, replay this tape in your mind and then play it the whole way through to what might happen if you do take a drink. It’s frightening to think about it.

Get in a recovery program because you want to be in one, not because you are forced to following your actions. Do the work and the work pays off.

Good luck, I really hope you find the changes you have to make.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry and sadly familiar with the outcome. I just know each day sober is a day farther away from that awful shameful feeling. I hope you are starting to feel better.

2 Likes

Let this be your rock bottom. You and I got active here about the same time…early December, right?

I notice you are in a cycle of being active here, then you go dark for a time, only to come back and post about a relapse.

What happens to make you disappear and relapse?

I let things pile on. I tell myself certain things don’t bother me that really bother me and i let it pile up until i finally just explode. I have no reason to drink and mess up but i guess deep down im just not happy.

You had seemed to be doing so well too…

Remind me, were you active in any program? IOP, Smart, AA, celebrate recovery?

Like Stevie said, let this be your bottom and put down the shovel. There is no bottom until you stop digging.

1 Like

Sometimes you have to hit the bottom, before you can go up.
I hope it didn’t sound mean, because that is not my intention. English is not my foreign language, so it’s hard to express myself.
But maybe you need this shit tot open your eyes , mind and heart for the change. The motivation to change your life. You have to do it, but you don’t have to do it alone! Go to AA or your doctor for help. Change! You can do it!!
Take care!!

Think you for sharing your story. I’m sorry things are hard right now😞

1 Like

What do you plan to do about it? What will you do differently this time to break the cycle, change the calculus of your life? It’s good to identify the root causes, but unless you are willing to act, nothing will change.

This is my first post here but your story sounds so familiar. I’m 37 and I’ve been binge drinking since I was 16. I’ve been arrested 3 times, charged with drink driving once, beaten up twice including a broken jaw and I’ve also broken my arm falling down night club stairs after a particularly heavy night on booze and ecstasy and punched a good friend of mine in the face when she swept my coke off a pub table. Nice rap sheet for a delinquent hey. However, by day I’m an Assurance manager, own my own house, go to the gym, play golf etc. My point is, those of us with this illness lead almost split lives. We’re like anti fucking heroes. My friends used to wave goodbye to “Chris” after my first drink as they knew what was coming.

Don’t let what you did when you’re drunk DEFINE who you are. That’s not you, it’s not your life or who you have to be. I’m not saying to not take responsibility for your actions but you need to take responsibility for drinking in the first place. Let these moments change you but don’t do what I did and let them build up. Looking back is so much harder. Stay strong, you’re a good person :blush:

4 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing … I needed to remember what happened last time I drank

I’m sorry that these things happened.
The silver lining to the grey cloud is this maybe the event that causes you never to drink again!
Did you ever find your car?
Are they going to drop the charges on hitting a cop or at least lower them?
Whatever you do. Lawyer up