My journey away from P/MO

Thanks, good idea. I’ve been doing pushups and variations on pullups and chinups. I have been wanting to buy a bench and squat rack for some time, but feel selfish spending that much on myself (another issue to work through!).

I may start swimming or kayaking more.

I would sing it for you, but no one wants to hear that!

1 Like

Lol

But I was just thinking.

A lot of members embed the YouTube videos on this forum as opposed to posting the link. I can view those.

Addiction is a lot more Selfish and honestly youre gonna save a lot of money being sober so Buy yourself this Bench/squat rack! And Swimmings great go for it! I had been swimming 8 years really getting pro at it when my addiction took all my time. Really sad actually if I think about it.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s a really good perspective.

2 Likes

Hey Jesse! Sorry for checking in so late! Welcome to the forum. Fellow PMO addict as well. I also am on your boat. Wife, kids, career, church, etc. You’re in good company.

3 Likes

6 days! Nice and easy evening. Still feeling impatient with my kids, but maybe that’s just life with young kids and/or a character flaw I need to work on.

I’m alone at home but have no desire to do anything inappropriate. I’m content to do the dishes, enjoy the quiet, and maybe watch a movie. Reading “Surprised by Joy” by CS Lewis the last few days. What a great author. The way he can communicate truth is really helpful in my walk.

Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement. It means so much. Whenever I pick up my phone this is the first place I want to go.

2 Likes

In early sobriety, I walked and listened to podcasts. The exercise burned off the nervous energy and the podcasts engaged my mind and redirected my thoughts. My go-to podcasts were the Daily Audio Bible and the Jocko Podcast. Still a big podcast listener and there’s something for everyone.

2 Likes

Look at you, Jesse!

you’re at 5 hours of read time already.

1 Like

Was in a very triggering situation today and had the strength (or was given the strength) to avert my eyes and control my thoughts. I feel more clarity than I have in a long while.

Will be 7 days in a few hours. :blush:

3 Likes

First week completed! Thank you folks for all your encouragement and input.

Found myself in a very triggering situation again today and will be again tomorrow. Thank God for the strength to fight.

Heard a line in John Wick 3: “If you want peace, prepare for war”. When it comes to this addiction, it sometimes feels like the only way over it is right through it. Facing it square and saying “no. enough is enough.”

4 Likes

Every time we say that (or at least I) I feel Im getting stronger. Thats why every day sober is a day that makes me stronger. Saying no to addiction is a yes to strength.

3 Likes

8 days. Struggling a lot today. Feeling anxious and depressed and tempted.

For a long time, my comfort and distraction in times like this has come from PMO. Finding new, healthy ways to deal with feelings is harder than I expected.

5 Likes

Great job on 8 days @jnd. You’ve got smooth waters and substantial challenges ahead. Please don’t ever slip in that resolve you have to beat this thing.
Regardless of many other factors, the only reason I’ve made it 128 days so far is that I feel deep fulfillment in fighting this. The moment I identified something in my life that was leading me astray outside of my control, I had to enforce 110% willpower and destroy the addiction.
My friends don’t know me as a stubborn person, because I’m also amicable and flexible. But when something happens that needs to be addressed, I’m there 110%. So let’s keep fighting this thing every day at 110%.
Unyielding belief that life without is better and closer to our experience, everyday.

3 Likes

I second what @TheJK said. Youre off to a great start.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I am feeling that fulfillment as well. I really want to share this with someone but, to be honest, there’s just no one I could share it with. I think my wife would be more alarmed than excited that I’m celebrating 11 days.

I’ve been feeling more and more clarity in my thoughts these past days. I’ve been considering some life changes and it feels like I have the mental space to seriously work on these decisions now.

11 days down, a lifetime to go. No turning back.

3 Likes

Double digits! That is so awesome. Congratulations. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

13 days. Really struggling with feeling down, almost depressed. Feeling disorganized and unmotivated at work. This is the type of feeling I would medicate with PMO, but that’s not an option anymore.

Have been exercising daily and swimming a bit as well.

Tomorrow is 2 weeks! I’m excited to hit that milestone.

2 Likes

Exercise is a great way to shut off the mind and get the body active so that we can work through that feeling of being wound up. If you stick with it the byproduct is a great boost in confidence too.

The depression is your brain without dopamine. Reading and podcasts and guided meditation really helped me to get out of those repetitive loops in my thinking that make the minutes crawl by. Also,

Take it one day at a time. Just not today, whatever it takes. Not today.

Glad to have you here, Jesse!

2 Likes

Nice!

Keep it up, Jesse.
you’re doing great.

1 Like