My journey of a thousand relapses

That could be me. I have relapsed many times. The most of the times I reset my counter after 2-3 weeks. Longest cleantime was 58 days.
I didn’t want to listen to suggestions because of my ego. I thought I was better than the other people in the program and always wanted to do things my way. For example: i mixed 3 suggestions from fellows… 10% from the suggestion of Fellow A, 30% from the suggestion of Fellow B, 20% from the suggestion of Fellow C, 10% from a post on T.S. and the rest was my way. That way of life caused me many relapses.
Since my last slip I call a fellow for everything that goes through my mind. and then really do what they suggest. he knows better than me, he has a long cleantime. And I am Mr. relapse :frowning:
the points I now have to pay attention to in my recovery.

• Be humble
  • Follow suggestions
  • Push aside ego
  • Listen carefully to people with long cleantime

I am now busy with reading the Newcomer and Constant relapsed topic. Checking all the links to other topics, and write down what could work for me.

Stay strong! And use the search function for old topics that keeps you busy right now. T.S. can be a recovery encyclopedia :wink:

I went on reddit, shared my problem on the Maladaptive Daydreaming subreddit and I got really great responses. I even found a few people willing to take my hand through it.

2 Likes

Totally relatable.
That’s like the most annoying loop of all time. One day we’re super motivated and say, ‘hey, I can do this all year!’ with a wide smile on our face. And then suddenly, just because a small trigger that we pay attention to, that actually can be ignored, we hit the relapse button.

Ughh such an annoying feeling.
It brings stress, disappointment, the lack of trust to ourselves, but yet, after that, we have to keep going. It is not easy, I’ve been there numerous times. I fail numerous times too to be honest. But thankfully, I get up more times than I fail.

Once again it is hard, I even haven’t reach that much yet in my journey, but I know, stopping is necessary. So I keep going. Keep on repeating the struggles, until one day, I, and hopefully all of us here, can be free from our addictions.

1 Like

Hey precious human, you can do this. I had many small periods of quitting booze, done with help of doctor and community addictions people. I often relapsed, but then I got a fantastic addictions team and I’m nearly 5 years sober from alcohol. You can do it too xx

I’ve got no concept of what you are going through but why not use this app as your journal, your story. Set up a thread and when you daydream write it down, start to turn your fantasy into reality, let us become part of your story with real characters in it we may be able to add a few sub plots and who knows maybe the new story we invent together will one day become your new reality.

Are you people for real? All of you who commented. You believe that alcoholism is a disease don’t you? Do you believe that maybe there could be some kind of mental issue going along with your disease? Of course you need a therapist we all need therapist we all need somebody to talk to don’t you think that you all have issues as far as your alcoholism finding out what may havecausedyou to drink. That maybe there might have been some kind of trauma in your life that happened which caused you to drink
We all need someone to talk to. Absolutely you need a therapist I strongly believe in a therapist and if you think that you can go through it alone without talking to somebody your wrong
I’m 59 years old and I know what the hell I’m talking about.if you have a chance to get a therapist take that chance
You won’t regret it