My new journey in Recovery Dharma

Sitting in this tonight

from “The Pocket Pema Chodron (Shambhala Pocket Classics)” by Pema Chödrön -

“when the resistance is gone, so are the demons.”

We all experienced this with our DOCs…now to implement it more fully in my life.

7 Likes

Love this one!! I find that’s exactly right too. Progress not perfection but letting go of resistance where I can is beautiful and SO freeing.

Thanks for this thread @Thirdmonkey

6 Likes

How ya doing?

Ooo I love this.

New to this thread. Been in AA for 4 years but as some of you know, last year I moved from Laos back to NY after 14 years in Laos… I love AA but was missing the vibe I got going to my meetings in Laos. Heck, I parked in the temple parking lot to walk to the cafe we had our meetings at… something about the temple grounds, and the whole setting of living in a Buddhist country … so someone on the meditation thread here on TS recommended Insight Timer and it’s like WOW … I’ve been listening to a whole lot of Thai Forest Buddhism talks and starting to feel more ground like I’m really walking myself home now and it doesn’t matter where I am I can have my practice… don’t need a temple. Anyways been sitting with this playlist and now finding this thread. Been on TS since March of 2019 and what a ride it’s been.
Looking forward to learning more about this form of recovery … so suggestions welcome… one day at a time.

That was a long run on rant. :grimacing::rofl::face_with_peeking_eye: My way of saying thanks.

9 Likes

Welcome! Glad you found the thread

1 Like

Today something interesting happened. I was in a bad mood after my coworker criticized my work. Nothing big, people make mistakes, we all do and tell each other. But today felt different. I was ready to go into bitch fight mode, but I didn’t.
Instead I asked myself why I’m this mad and what I need to stop that?
I was able to calm down after a very short time :heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Thats a wonderful thing!

3 Likes

I went to my first online recovery dharma meeting today. I enjoyed it. It wasn’t very big, maybe 20 people. Afterward they sent me a welcome email :slight_smile: Downloaded the book. The meditation we did today really hit me with how I feel about my ex. I’m going to replay again soon I think. Can’t stay angry forever. Gotta let that s*+! go… let go…

Feeling content.

7 Likes

Good to hear…around here 20 is huge

3 Likes

Hey… I just found out that the meeting I planed to joyn online today isn’t online, but in person… In Berlin. So I searched for other meetings online and I am so surprised about such a long list…
I found on recoverydharma.org.

You can sort the list according to your time zone. Even found one specialized on codependency tomorrow in the afternoon. And a replacement for tonight. I will report how it was going.

I think I need this… I didn’t drink yesterday too… But i feel very depressed today. And i can’t manage it getting better by myself right now. Mindset stuff doesn’t work.

Craving unhealthy food, although I know it’s making things worse.

10 Likes

That is the absolute truth. We need help. Glad you found some meetings!

5 Likes

I think it was there where you can include it in your calendar and then you can select it in yoir calendar and see all meetings (translated to your time zone including a zoom link).

3 Likes

I just signed up for this Feb 4th. I’m really looking forward to it. I’m really enjoying the online meetings and reading as much as I can with my head on fire so to speak.

6 Likes

I would like to give you some more likes - :heart: @Thirdmonkey and @anon74766472 and hope to report about some meeting experience next week! Didn’t manage it this week.
Still reading around first 3 days of step one in dharma recovery daily reflections by Kevin Griffin. Reflecting. And had daily mediation.
Hugs

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing :blue_heart::green_heart:

3 Likes

I just went to my first meeting (8pm uk time LA meeting) ; there was 38 in that one!! Really lovely; I feel like I could get somewhere better with recovery dharma🙏

7 Likes

Yay!!! That is good to hear! I hope you add to this thread!

4 Likes

I just ordered a Dharma book thanks to this thread. I think it’ll be a perfect addition to my current recovery program :pray:

6 Likes

I cant wait to hear what you think!!!

2 Likes

A wise friend has suggested i go back over the meditation chapter in the recovery dharma book. I did, and meditated.

I am carving time, every day for this and being more mindful about making sure I do this.

Today was good.

5 Likes