My new journey in Recovery Dharma

Somehow today is Control-day on TS

3 Likes

from “The Pocket Pema Chodron (Shambhala Pocket Classics)” by Pema Chödrön -

“LIFE is a good teacher and a good friend. Things are always in transition, if we could only realize it. Nothing ever sums itself up in the way that we like to dream about.”

One day at a time.

Start reading this book for free: The Pocket Pema Chodron (Shambhala Pocket C... - Kindle

4 Likes

I am new to recovery dharma.
I have read all of pema chodrons books. And re read them. I spent alot of time practicing bhuddism the best I could by myself.
Recently I went to my first meeting. There were only two people there and I was so anxious and nervous and it showed. They were so supportive of me and every Thursday is the face to face meeting which I will be going to each week.
They go for a coffee after as well. Which I will be forcing myself through my anxiety to go along too and join in.
There are online meetings too. One tomorrow evening I will join.

:pray:

7 Likes

Welcome! How exciting! I love the coffee afterwards thing!

2 Likes

Annnnnnd
contribute all you want
please!!

2 Likes

“LIFE is a good teacher and a good friend. Things are always in transition, if we could only realize it. Nothing ever sums itself up in the way that we like to dream about. The off-center, in-between state is an ideal situation, a situation in which we don’t get caught and we can open our hearts and minds beyond limit. It’s a very tender, nonaggressive, open-ended state of affairs.”

Some days the universe delivers what you need, exactly when you need it. With the rough start of the day
this page was exactly what i needed to read

Start reading this book for free: The Pocket Pema Chodron (Shambhala Pocket C... - Kindle

6 Likes

This is why I am at Day 0 for tobacco. I forgot what meditation does and does not do

Pema Chodron (Shambhala Pocket Classics)" by Pema Chödrön -

“First of all, it is helpful to understand that meditation is not just about feeling good. To think that this is why we meditate is to set ourselves up for failure. We’ll assume we are doing it wrong almost every time we sit down: even the most settled meditator experiences psychological and physical pain. Meditation takes us just as we are, with our confusion and our sanity. This complete acceptance of ourselves as we are is called maitri, or unconditional friendliness, a simple, direct relationship with the way we are.”

Gotta 1) use my tools 2) uses them as intended

3 Likes

quote from “The Pocket Pema Chodron (Shambhala Pocket Classics)” by Pema Chödrön -

“IN all kinds of situations, we can find out what is true simply by studying ourselves in every nook and cranny, in every black hole and bright spot, whether it’s murky, creepy, grisly, splendid, spooky, frightening, joyful, inspiring, peaceful, or wrathful. We can just look at the whole thing.”

Long story, long

The place I work has 2 managers and the owner. The owner rarely comes in. The store manager quit for a better opportunity. This leaves us the Assitant Manager and the owners book keeper filling in 2 days a week as the Store manager.

I love where I work, i love what I do. In my opinion the assitant manager is horrible and shouldn’t be a manager. He is always late in the morning. So late, I am outside with the customers waiting to get in.

I have been thinking about asking the book keeper to get the owner to give me a set of keys and the alarm code so I can get the store going.

I have been conflicted about this. So, like this passage recommends i looked at myself. I found in a merky corner of myself the horrible reason why I want to do this.

At face value its to " take care of the buisness and the customets." If i look at all the corners of my being I find the real answer

I dont like the Assitant manager, and asking for the keys will get him in trouble. Do I care about the buisness and customers
100% I do. However, my motive is not “pure”

So, I will continue to do what I do, and let the assitant manager set his own path for life.

6 Likes

Read this today (slow day at work)

Parts really resonated with me and my mind went to various things i have read and studied here.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/living-forward/202405/why-letting-go-of-the-inner-critic-is-such-a-struggle

2 Likes

Thank you for this article Scott, it resonated with me too
really helpful :pray:

2 Likes

Scott,
Maybe you can take it another step further. Ask the assistant manager how you can help him, with no malice in your heart.

That will take reflection, prayer, and courage. These are practices and qualities I have seen in you.

3 Likes

Interesting enough, the Asst Mgr, a co worker, and I were talking (after i made that post)
 Timeliness came up, and I gave him my opinion. We shall see what comes of it

3 Likes

However, had it not come up
i would take your suggestion in a heartbeat.

The universe runs on vibes, doesn’t it? Wow!

3 Likes

Just posted on the check in thread
then opened my pocket Pema and this is what I read

“ON a very basic level all beings think that they should be happy. When life becomes difficult or painful, we feel that something has gone wrong. According to the Buddhist teachings, difficulty is inevitable in human life. For one thing, we cannot escape the reality of death. But there are also the realities of aging, of illness, of not getting what we want, and of getting what we don’t want. T”

I think this is where I will start with the youngest.

6 Likes

“THERE’S a common misunderstanding among all the human beings who have ever been born on the earth that the best way to live is to try to avoid pain and just try to get comfortable. You can see this even in insects and animals and birds. All of us are the same. A much more interesting, kind, adventurous, and joyful approach to life is to begin to develop our curiosity, not caring whether the object of our inquisitiveness is bitter or sweet. To lead a life that goes beyond pettiness and prejudice and always wanting to make sure that everything turns out on our own terms, to lead a more passionate, full, and delightful life than that, we must realize that we can endure a lot of pain and pleasure for the sake of finding out who we are and what this world is, how we tick and how our world ticks, how the whole thing just is.”

I used alcohol to avoid pain, to regain comfortability. It didnt work.

Reading this made me think about my dependance on tobacco and sugar. When I decided to give those up
I just thought I would stop. I use those like I did alcohol.

4 Likes

I spent my last two evenings with a Recovery Dharma online group. It was very nice and yesterday‘s meditation opened up a lot in me. It was a compassion meditation. I find these very difficult when I direct them towards myself. Either I end up being the worst self-critic or I get sucked into endless self-pity and have trouble separating myself from my emotions and inner stories. For the first time I felt like I could get to a different position yesterday. I was a responsible adult whose job it was to take care of myself. A caring and loving adult but also someone who actually is able and willing to handle this job. It still feels very empowering. I think I will be joining the group on a regular basis.

4 Likes

That is great to hear!

3 Likes

“WHEN I was about six years old I received an essential teaching from an old woman sitting in the sun. I was walking by her house one day feeling lonely, unloved, and mad, kicking anything I could find. Laughing, she said to me, “Little girl, don’t you go letting life harden your heart.” Right there, I received this pith instruction: we can let the circumstances of our lives harden us so that we become increasingly resentful and afraid, or we can let them soften us and make us kinder and more open to what scares us. We always have this choice.”

3 Likes

Every day I open a random page. Today this is what is shown to me :slightly_smiling_face::pray:

3 Likes